Friday, March 6, 2009

Who Amongst Us Is Without Sin?

In Chapter 10 of Mark's Gospel, Jesus speaks to the Pharisees and to his disciples about divorce, about allowing the children to come to him for blessings, and instructs those around him to come approach the Kingdom of God like a child.

Then came a man to Jesus asking the way to eternal life. Jesus lists the commandments. The man replies that he has kept the commandments from a young age. Then from the Gospel:

Jesus, looking at him, loved him and said, ‘You lack one thing; go, sell what you own, and give the money* to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; then come, follow me.’ When he heard this, he was shocked and went away grieving, for he had many possessions.

Every time I read that passage, I stand convicted. There are those who say that Jesus didn't really mean those words, that he meant that we should not be greedy and have possessions in excess. Society couldn't function if everyone literally followed those directives.

Of course, Jesus' words are impractical. Pragmatism was not Jesus' strong suit. Who amongst us is innocent, except the destitute and those who have given up their possessions to live and work amongst the poor? I believe that Jesus meant the words. Do I follow them? No, I do not. I could not have cast the first stone at the woman caught in adultery. Trust me; I am going somewhere with this besides lay sermonizing.

Those former and present members of the Episcopal Church who long for and attempt to build a pure church try in vain, "since all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God;" (Rom. 3:23) To attempt to build a pure church consisting of humans who have sinned and fallen short is simply not possible. The church is the Body of Christ and is sanctified by Christ himself, not by the beliefs or mistaken beliefs, or good or sinful acts or omissions of the imperfect members of the Body. The church is not my church, or your church, or their church, but God's church. We, the members of the church, put our faith and trust in a loving and merciful God to take us where we should go, not in purity of doctrines or "thou shalt nots" declared by imperfect human beings.

The reason that I am against a Covenant for the Anglican Communion is because we have the Covenant of God with his people in the Hebrew Testament, and we have Jesus building on that Covenant with the New Covenant of "love God, love your neighbor". What is lacking in the New Covenant? Why would we expect imperfect humans to come up with a superior, or even an equal covenant? We have the Baptismal Covenant and the Prayer Book which bind us together as Anglicans. What further need for a Covenant?

The man in the Gospel story went away grieving because of his many possessions, but, just as Jesus loved him when he spoke the words to him, he loved the man still when he walked away. And he loves us, just as we are, sinners all. In that love of God, I put my faith and hope.

My two cents, inspired by this post by Rmj at Adventus. Any mistakes here are my own and not attributable to Rmj.

UPDATE: I was late to the Lectionary today, and I found the readings pertinant to the words that I posted:

AM Psalm 95 & 40, 54
PM Psalm 51
Deut. 10:12-22
Heb. 4:11-16
John 3:22-36

6 comments:

  1. Yes Grandmere... and it's not just about "stuff" --it is about whatever keeps us from answering the call to formation and ministry. And that might be different for each of us.

    It would seem that with the so-called Covenant and the churches, that there are many things we "possess" that serve more to separate us from loving God and neighbor than doing that good work set before us to do.

    I hope that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Margaret, what you say makes very good sense, and it's true that other things besides our possessions get in the way of serving God and our neighbor.

    However, in this post, I'm talking about stuff, as I think Jesus was with those words. Of course, I could be wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Surely He meant that this fellow (not "the rich young ruler as some pretend, I do not know why) personally had a problem with Greed - and then the implications are what Margaret said (and Luther and...).

    Whatever keeps us from the Communion of God and his Saints in Creation is sin; missing the mark, and so on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Göran, I haven't studied or read the interpretations of scholars on this passage. I don't know Greek, and you and Margaret, no doubt, know a lot more than I do, but I cling to my meaning.

    St. Francis of Assisi took the words seriously, and, even today, folks take Jesus at his word.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.