Saturday, April 11, 2009

Holy Week - Jesus Among The Dead



O Lord, God of my salvation,
when, at night, I cry out in your presence,
let my prayer come before you;
incline your ear to my cry.

For my soul is full of troubles,
and my life draws near to Sheol.
I am counted among those who go down to the Pit;
I am like those who have no help,
like those forsaken among the dead,
like the slain that lie in the grave,
like those whom you remember no more,
for they are cut off from your hand.
You have put me in the depths of the Pit,
in the regions dark and deep.
Your wrath lies heavy upon me,
and you overwhelm me with all your waves.


Psalm 88:1-7


O God, Creator of heaven and earth: Grant that, as the crucified body of your dear Son was laid in the tomb and rested on this holy Sabbath, so we may await with him the coming of the third day, and rise with him to newness of life; who now lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

(Book of Common Prayer, p.283)


Sweet hours have perished here;
This is a mighty room;
Within its precincts hopes have played, --
Now shadows in the tomb.


Emily Dickinson

The painting above is another in the series titled "The Passion of Christ" by New York artist, Doug Blanchard. Doug blogs as Counterlight at Counterlight's Peculiars.

12 comments:

  1. While I love Doug's work, I have mixed feeling about this subject---basically, because I'm so drawn to "Harrowing of Hell" iconography. That's how I like to view, spiritually, what Jesus was doing in those 36 hours or so between dying and rising---recognizing that this all all BEYOND comprehension by my wee mortal mind to begin with! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Posting Doug's paintings on my blog and seeing them each time I open my front page has been quite a moving experience for me.

    If the Scripture readings from the Lectionary don't suit me, I look for another passage. The Collects always seem to work, and then I look for something extra.

    In the comments at OCICBW, Erp gave me the idea to use Dickinson's poem for this painting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This so makes me appreciate the exquisite and painful beauty of the Prayers at the time of death and the Burial Service, from the Book of Common Prayer.

    As a parent in the latter stages of mourning, it helps (some) to know that Christ tasted the bitterest dregs of death, and that there is hope for our beloved ones who rest in the "bosom of Abraham".

    A blessed and holy Pascha to you all!

    John Iliff

    ReplyDelete
  4. John, I love the Book of Common Prayer. I try to use prayers from it as often as I can, because that helps me discover riches there that I had not known before. Besides, I want others to know what beauty lies between its covers.

    I have great hope that your family will once again come together in a joyful reunion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For reasons I won't go into here, the Eastern Orthodox prayers used at our son's burial service are a source of pain, certainly not comfort.

    However, I have used the mourning prayers from the Book of Common Prayer several times (informally) at his graveside. They are a great comfort to me.

    Pascal blessings to you, dear Mimi, and friends!

    John Iliff

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Mimi, for posting Doug's paintings here. I have found them beautiful as well as challenging, and it's great to know the artist! Well, know him in the cyberworld.

    John, thinking of you and Monica -- we met online just a year ago when you wrote me about my Good Friday meditation. Always good to read your words.

    Mimi, blessings, and sorry I have been scarce these days. I do visit though, and saw your note on my blog, for which many thanks. Just put up a couple of posts now that I have a quiet day. Nice to have one. And the sun is out! It rained buckets yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Paschal Blessings to you and your loved ones, John.

    Jane, as I posted Doug's paintings, I was changed in the doing.

    I'll get over to your site. Thanks be to God for the sunshine. It shines here, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to be of assistance even if I think Emily was talking about her
    room where she wrote (but then good poems are open to a multitude of meanings).

    Yes: in the sea of life enisled,
    With echoing straits between us thrown.
    Dotting the shoreless watery wild,
    We mortal millions live alone.
    The islands feel the enclasping flow,
    And then their endless bounds they know.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Erp, the poem just seemed to fit the painting, no matter that Emily was talking about her room. Yes, good poems have multiple meanings and applications beyond what the poet imagines.

    ReplyDelete
  10. As does good Theology ;=)

    ... but not bad :-(

    ReplyDelete
  11. Göran, yes to both your statements.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.