Saturday, April 11, 2009

A Good Good Friday?


In my family and in many families in this area, a common custom on Good Friday is to gather friends and family to eat boiled crawfish. At first I protested. "What are we doing having a party on Good Friday?" But no one paid attention, and the tradition was established and carried on - now for a good many years in our family.

Back in the day, (I know y'all get tired of hearing me say that, but all old people do it, so get used to it) we kept an austere Good Friday, often attending the three hour church service. No radio, no movies. We were encouraged to do spiritual reading only, no novels or trivia allowed. It was a solemn day.

No longer, and I've come to wonder if the old way was best, after all. I make room in my day for a church service, but I go along with good humor and enjoyment now with the Good Friday crawfish boil.

Pictured above is the greatly diminished pile of crawfish, after most folks have had their fill, although, after a little rest, some go back for seconds. You can see the other ingredients that go into the pot with the crawfish - onions, whole garlic pods, corn, potatoes, lemons, along with the many seasoning ingredients. The crawfish were delicious! My son did a terrific job of cooking them.

The only time I drink beer is when I eat boiled shrimp, crabs, or crawfish. My preference is Corona. I ate a whole pod of garlic. I couldn't resist, although I was going to church after the gathering. We were only a faithful few at the simple, but very nice, 6:00 PM service, most of the parishioners having attended the 12:00 PM service with the traditional musical drama in the churchyard preceding the service. I read two parts in the Passion narrative, the slave and the gatekeeper, but even with that, I had only two lines early on, so I could sink into the rest of the reading without having to worry that I'd miss my cue.

Below are pictures of the doggies who were at the gathering yesterday. The first is Gino, the Maltese, who belongs to my daughter and her family. Isn't he the cutest thing ever? I want one just like him. Do you think we might find a rescue Maltese? Of course, we must wait until Diana passes on, because she thinks all small animals are cats, and I fear that she would do harm to the little dog.


Pictured below are the three Bassets that belong to my son and his family. In the foreground is Trigger, the father of the family. On the right is sweet Babs, the mother, who was supposed to have died of untreatable cancer some time ago, but is still here. She seems comfortable, is apparently not in pain, and is not off her food. In the rear is the dumb son of Babs and Trigger, Junior, one of the stupidest dogs ever. If you knock on that huge head of his, it rings hollow, proof of a very small brain.


The cauldron below, attached to the butane tank, is the cooking pot for the crawfish, crabs, or shrimp. We seldom do large-quantity shrimp boils any longer, because shrimp are more expensive now.

I also use the pot to make my "Double, double toil and trouble; Fire burn, and caldron bubble" witch's brew for my voodoo practice.


When I was in England, I gave MadPriest a very special set of Mardi Gras beads with the ingredients for boiling crawfish strung between the beads, a tiny crawfish, a garlic pod, an ear of corn, a lemon, a potato, and even a tiny chef!

29 comments:

  1. What exactly are these crawfish, looks like shrimps to me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did the chef look like MP?

    I would love to be at a crawfish feed. I have never been, but I loves the shellfish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gino is adorable. No wonder you'd like one. Goran: to me crawfish look like mini lobsters only they're fresh water. Had a great crawfish dinner in Austria once so I know Europe has them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I Googled afterwards...

    We call them Kräfta -or and they used to be caught in great numbers and cooked with dill in early August.

    Kräftor are Folk-lore, but the custom of eating them seems to be imported from Germany by the upper classes.

    They are rare nowadays and the real river variety is very expensive.

    The implantation of American signal-kräftor (which are immune) in the 1960ies spread a kind of pest, originally from Finland, which has emptied a great number of lakes and rivers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are not to be caught if they do not exceed, I think 6cms in length but they can reach 18 cms.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Louisiana crawfish live in waters which are half salt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gino is adorable, and the Basets too ;=)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Susan, the chef looked a little like MadPriest.

    I tried to find a picture of beads like the ones that I gave him, but I could not. Maybe they're rare. I gave Doorman-Priest a set with tiny Cajun Reeboks strung on them, along with crawfish, I believe. I wish I had taken pictures of the beads before I gave them away. I took the ladies special, pretty beads.

    Göran, crawfish are also called mudbugs around here, because they live in muddy ponds and ditches. It's true that they can live in brackish waters, too. Some say that the pond crawfish, or freshwater crawfish, taste better than those from part salty water, but I can't tell much difference between the two.

    Sometimes we find crawfish chimneys in the back yard in spots that don't have much grass.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Grandmère, in Thibodaux do you walk to different churches on Good Friday? I know there aren't as many churches as we have in New Orleans (where we are supposed to walk to nine), but maybe you could count the Protestants and Baptists.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ormonde, there is a group walk here in Thibodaux to several churches. The group generally stays and watches the musical-dance drama in the churchyard at St. John and then moves on to finish the walk. I've never done the walk, so I'm not sure which churches participate, except that I know that three Roman Catholic churches and St. John participate.

    I know of the custom in New Orleans of visits to nine churches on Good Friday. I don't believe that I ever did it, but I could have once and forgotten. It was the kind of thing my sainted grandmother would have done.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Grand'mère wrote: "brackish waters"... Didn't I know?

    We say bräckt vatten, it's the same word ;=)

    ReplyDelete
  12. We always ate poppy-seed cake and pomegranites on Good Friday....! But during the summer we hunted crawdads (what we used to call them in California) in the summer. Would tie big two-pronged carving forks on the end of broom sticks and go turning over the rocks and under ledges in the creek hunting for them. I stopped eating them when I heard them screaming after my dad threw them in the pot.....

    back to the poppy-seed cake....

    have a blessed Easter Grandmere!

    --it's margaret

    ReplyDelete
  13. In Australia we use "crayfish" for salt water lobsters. What you call crawfish we call yabbies (Aboriginal word) Rushing off to Easter Morning service here "He is Risen".

    ReplyDelete
  14. Göran, folks tell me that German and the Scandinavian languages "sound a lot like English", but I can't hear the similarities myself. A few words, maybe, but not many.

    Margaret, I have never heard the crawfish scream. I know. We should all be vegetarians. I could give up meat, but seafood would be extremely difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You want a Maltese, Mimi, but I want a Basset (to go along w/ my first and foremost love, a Labrador, of course. I think the combination of the speedy athletic Lab, and the "I'm coming, I'm coming!" Basset would be hysterically adorable)

    Mmmmm, crawfish (been ages since I've had any). Crawfish and beer? Double the yum!

    Happy Easter, dear G'mere!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Did you give Mrs. MP any voodoo recipes to try on her husband by any chance? Just wondering.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Alleluia! He is risen in Australia!

    How I've been longing to say that!

    ReplyDelete
  18. JCF, the Bassets are bred to be misshapen. I feel sorry for them each time I see them. 100 years ago, they didn't look like that. Nearly all of the Bassets have hip and joint problems. I love Babs. She is one of the sweetest dogs I've ever known, but I feel sorry for her.

    Paul, in a word, no. I guard my voodoo recipes closely.

    ReplyDelete
  19. MMMMM.... crawfish boil, yum!

    BTW- loving all the doggies!

    Easter Joy to you, my dear friend Mimi.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Boiled shrimp and beer, what the gods eat on Olympus and heroes eat in Valhalla. I love a big plate of boiled shrimp and a cold Corona. The only thing I love as much is a hot plate full of cholesterol packed, heart-stopping Tex Mex enchiladas smothered in chili, also with a cold beer.
    Also on that list is a really good cassoulet with wine (in deference to La Belle France).

    I'm sure that I could make room in my heavenly banquet for boiled crayfish and beer. I'm sure Jesus loves it, and His Mother forgives him for the mess he leaves with all the shells.

    ReplyDelete
  21. By the way, I've never had crawfish and beer, but I'm sure I'd love it.

    Happy Easter Grandmere!

    ReplyDelete
  22. "What are we doing having a party on Good Friday?" My mother always insisted that on Good Friday we followed the practice of "fasting" by eating only fish. The last year that she did this, we had truite meunière for lunch and saumon en croûte for supper. My father and I made so much fun of this fare being a "fast", that she never did it again. Our loss, as I now realize.

    ReplyDelete
  23. A Blessed and Happy Easter to all!

    I shall do an Easter post.

    Counterlight, I know that you'd love crawfish and a cold Corona. I think I've come to like boiled crawfish more than boiled shrimp. Food for the gods, indeed!

    Lapin, that serves you and your father right. Your mother went to all that fuss only to be mocked.

    I always thought the RC fasting rule that allowed us our delicious seafood was rather silly. How is that a penance?

    Now you've both made me hungry, and I'm going right now to eat leftover boiled crawfish.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm glad I ate dinner before reading this--looking at all that crawfish made me hungry. I could practically smell the seasoning.

    I like the idea of getting everyone together for a communal meal like that, even if it's not a traditional "austere" Good Friday ritual.

    We fasted yesterday and broke our fast after church last night, and it was delicious. Shrimp and scallop ravioli and broiled tilapia.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Bubs, you didn't do too bad yourself after your fast. Had I not just eaten my crawfish, my mouth would be watering from your description of your meal.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love this post and all the comments! And Grandmère, what perfect presents for MP and DP. Glad you kept your voodoo to yourself. A lady has to have her secrets. Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Lapinbizzare's father had a point ;=)

    Have you heard the one about the Beaver? and the Capybara in South America?

    As they "live in water" they were (are?) permitted for fasting-days... Riddikulus! really ;=)

    ReplyDelete
  28. The BBC had a post on the Capybara in Venezuela yesterday... Though it's called something else there ;=)

    ReplyDelete
  29. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7987587.stm

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.