Tuesday, April 21, 2009

A Tender Story Of A Dog's Devotion


The Sculptress JOEL works on the statue of Ruswarp, a devoted dog who stayed by his dead master's side for 11 weeks devoted dog who stayed by his dead master's side for 11 weeks on a remote mountainside in winter is being recognised with a statue in his honour.

From the Telegraph comes a story that would have our dear leader blubbering like a girlie:

In a tale reminiscent of Greyfriars Bobby, border collie Ruswarp stuck by the side of owner Graham Nuttall after he got into trouble walking on 20 January 1990.

A week-long search found nothing, while missing person posters and leaflets also failed to produce any sightings.

But on 7 April walker David Clarke found the body by a mountain stream. Next to him was Ruswarp, who had stood guard over his master through snow and rain. The 14-year-old dog was so weak he had to be carried off the mountain.

Despite being cared for by a local vet he died shortly after attending Mr Nuttall's funeral.


Take note of the breed of this heroic dog. Ruswarp was a border collie.

Thanks to Lapin for sending me this lovely story.

Crossposted at OCICBOV and Wounded Bird.

6 comments:

  1. My grandfather's border collie did something similar. Fortunately my grandfather was still alive when the searchers eventually found them (with no help from the dog).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erp, I'm glad your story had a happy ending. I think Lassie would have gone for help.

    MadPriest's collie, Glenna, didn't like me. She hid behind the sofa most of the time I was at his house. Was it from loyalty to her human?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think many border collies are intensely loyal to a very select number of humans (in Benji's case my grandparents though after I had been staying with them for a full month he eventually decided to go with a walk with me [I believe I was the only other person he ever walked with]). Admittedly it was only so far with me. Once we reached that limit he stopped and would go no further (he would also never take a leash even with my grandparents). He did have good reason to be wary; my grandparents had rescued him from bad treatment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor old Callum tolerated me, but Delphi loved me. I couldn't give her enough affection. But I believe Delphi loves anyone who pays attention to her.

    A border collie lives next door to us. He comes most mornings to get a dog treat, when we give our Diana a treat, but he will not take it from our hands. We have to put the treat on the ground, and he will come and take it. His sister, the Labrador, well, we don't let her take the treat from our hands, because she may just take a finger or two with the treat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd like to hope that in the same situation my dogs would have sized up the situation and have me for supper.

    ReplyDelete
  6. John, that's kind of a shocking thought, but it would make a certain sense.

    One reader wondered if Ruswarp might have made it, if he had not been taken to the funeral.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.