Saturday, May 2, 2009

May Day Fun - "Royal Romp"

From the Washington Post:

A couple were arrested Sunday for stripping off their clothes and having sex on the lawn of Windsor Castle, one of the country's most popular tourist attractions, said Anamika Madar, a spokeswoman for the Thames Valley Police.

The arrest became top news in Britain on Friday when details of it were leaked to the press. Madar said "more than one person" had called to alert police to the naked spectacle, which took place in full view of busy hotels and shops and sightseers who gathered to videotape this particular sight.

The couple were jailed overnight for "outraging public decency," Madar said.


And the Queen was right there in the castle while this indecency was happening! I know that I am thoroughly outraged by reading about such a public spectacle of nudity and lewdity on the lawn of Windsor Castle. Surely, had I been there, I would have called in after I watched for just a minute or two.

According the the Sun newspaper, "the woman was an American Internet expert and her partner was a British manager of a recruiting firm". One American and one Brit. One wonders if the internet expert has a specialty and for what specific jobs the manager recruits. Ah, but other news reports say that they were "respectable people with with respectable jobs".

British news accounts suggested the couple had been drinking a lot of champagne and appeared not to realize how many people were watching, or exactly where they were.

Dennis!!!!

Champagne. Lovely spring weather. Nice lawn. Surely an irresistible combination.

But how could they miss the "Keep Off the Grass" sign?

17 comments:

  1. I heard it was HRH and Phil the Greek.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Top news in Britain? And I read it on an American blog first? Sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  3. And to think that I almost didn't post this, because I thought it was old news.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The reports you share indicate champagne, not grass, as a possibly facilitating substance, so I assume they thought that sign didn't apply to them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Paul, by the time they saw the sign, they probably couldn't read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought it was doing it by oneself that made one go blind.

    Oh dear, I've lowered the tone again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No, no, Paul, that's an old wives tale. It's the hair on the palms that's the dead giveaway.

    And yes, you have lowered the tone of my very upright and uptight blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hadn't heard about this until I read it here. Maybe the news didn't reach West Yorkshire LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi WendyCarole. Welcome to my blog from the wilds of West Yorkshire. I've been there recently, you know. It's grand country, and I want to go back.

    I'm surprised that you English folks have not heard about the romp. I read it in my local paper this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Romper, Bomper, stomper, do,
    tell me, tell me, tell me true,
    are my friends having fun at play?

    Overheard when I was a child on Romper Room

    ReplyDelete
  11. My recollection of the signs on the public lawns in Britain read, instead: "Do not permit your dog to foul the green".

    ReplyDelete
  12. Surely, had I been there, I would have called in after I watched for just a minute or two.


    {snort}

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fred, I don't think Miss Fran (or was it Miss Jennie?) meant THAT kind of fun.

    Paul (A.), that must have been a very long time ago. I doubt that even sober English folk would understand that message today.

    JCF, (snort) back to you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The only time I was in England in May, it was too cold to frolic on the lawn, especially nude.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ormonde, we were there in early May, too, and the weather was mild. We could have frolicked, but we didn't.

    ReplyDelete
  16. "Keep off the grass" means something else here.

    ReplyDelete
  17. DP, it's not fair to do a hit and run without enlightening us.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.