Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Memo To Bishops: Catholics Not Listening

From Fr. Thomas J. Reese, S. J. in the Washington Post:

During the 2008 presidential campaign, there was a steady drumbeat of opposition to Barack Obama from some U.S. Catholic bishops, which only increased after his election. But despite the attention these attacks received in the media and on Internet blogs, polls show that the Catholic people are not listening.
....

In the presidential election, Catholics voted for Obama, and Hispanic Catholics, who are a growing percentage of U.S. Catholics, gave him around two-thirds of their vote. Since the election, Obama has continued to do as well if not better with Catholics in the polls.


Fr. Reese hazards a guess as to why the people are not listening.

I think part of the problem is that the bishops stopped listening and teaching and started ordering and condemning. With an educated laity it no longer works to simply say, "it is the teaching of the church." This is the equivalent of a parent shouting, "Because I said so."

The bishops must persuade and convince with arguments not by turning up the volume. When they resort to commanding and threatening punishments, people are turned off. Banning speakers, denying Communion, silencing theologians is a sign of weakness not strength. Censorship and violations of academic freedom come across as admissions that their arguments are not convincing and therefore the opposition must be silenced.


And the coup de grâce:

The bishops will also be embarrassed when Pope Benedict welcomes President Obama at the Vatican, or are all these people going to tell the Pope that he cannot talk to a pro-choice President?

Some might say that the bishops are more Catholic than the pope, but I would never say that.

Do read the entire editorial. It is quite good. If I did the "Brick of the Day Award", I'd give it to Fr. Reese. I will anyway. Fr. Thomas J. Reese, S. J. is my "Brick of the Day".

(H/T to MadPriest for the "Brick of the Day" idea.)

Is it time for another Mass of Reparation? This one will be for Georgetown University, where Fr. Reese is Senior Fellow at Woodstock Theological Center.

Thanks to Lapin for the link.

9 comments:

  1. Catherine in JapanMay 6, 2009 at 8:07 PM

    Yet again, thanks to Fr. Reese. I have appreciated Fr. Reese since his days as editor of the Jesuit weekly magazine, 'America'. When I read that magazine, I am reassured of a thoughtful and reasonable Catholic world view.

    I have posted a link to another 'America' magazine article that pokes fun at Mary Ann Glendon's choice not to accept an award from Notre Dame because they have invited President Obama to speak. Take a peek if you have a chance.

    http://www.americamagazine.org/blog/entry.cfm?blog_id=2&id=13797849-3048-741E-3662959644519575

    ReplyDelete
  2. Catherine, I read it. It is quite good. I tried to leave a comment at the magazine in support of the editorial, but, for some reason, I couldn't get it to go through. There were quite a few unsupportive comments.

    Here's an easier link.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Catherine in JapanMay 6, 2009 at 8:43 PM

    Grandmere, (don't know where the accent grave is on my keyboard, sorry)

    Sorry about the awkward link I posted.
    I wonder why you couldn't leave a comment. I will check that out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the link. I spent many years teaching in Catholic schools and in the last one, our senior college was run by Jesuits. I came to admire them immensely. Their kind of Roman Catholicism was very attractive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too have found many Jesuits admirable and continue to do so. I grew up RC and our parish priests, at least the younger ones, were thoughtful and encouraged us to think as well. Unfortunately I went to university in Boston and in the local parish churches there I discovered that thinking wasn't allowed. That's when I discovered the Episcopal Church and was received on the Feast of St. Michael and All Angels in 1960.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As you know I had read that. Brilliant.

    Reese was the editor of America until - well, he was deposed by a certain new pope at that time. Ahem, clears throat.

    The America comments are moderated - could that be the problem with it going through?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brian, I went to high school in a Jesuit parish, and I went to a Jesuit university. I admired them greatly, too.

    Amelia, It took me a little longer.

    Catherine and Fran, about the comment, a box came up saying that my comment could not be accepted. I don't know why, because I praised the editorial.

    ReplyDelete
  8. At a later point in life I had the joy of taking a couple of courses from Jesuit scholars (Hindu wisdom literature & Sacraments in a Latino context). The courses were fascinating and the gentlemen wonderful teachers.

    Paul the BB

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Jesuits who taught me were, for the most part, intelligent and learned men. I'm thankful for much that I learned at Loyola.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.