Sunday, May 31, 2009

Veni, Creator Spiritus


Pentecost - GADDI, Taddeo - 1335-40 - Walnut, 35 x 27 cm
Staatliche Museen, Berlin

They who have my commandments and keep them are those who love me; and those who love me will be loved by my Father, and I will love them and reveal myself to them.’ Judas (not Iscariot) said to him, ‘Lord, how is it that you will reveal yourself to us, and not to the world?’ Jesus answered him, ‘Those who love me will keep my word, and my Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them. Whoever does not love me does not keep my words; and the word that you hear is not mine, but is from the Father who sent me.

‘I have said these things to you while I am still with you. But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you everything, and remind you of all that I have said to you. Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled, and do not let them be afraid. You heard me say to you, “I am going away, and I am coming to you.” If you loved me, you would rejoice that I am going to the Father, because the Father is greater than I. And now I have told you this before it occurs, so that when it does occur, you may believe.

John 14:21-29

Preface of Pentecost

O God, who on this day didst teach the hearts of thy faithful people by sending to them the light of thy Holy Spirit: Grant us by the same Spirit to have a right judgment in all things, and evermore to rejoice in his holy comfort; through the merits of Christ Jesus our Savior, who liveth and reigneth with thee, in the unity of the same Spirit, one God, world without end. Amen.

Illustration from the Web Gallery of Art.

UPDATE: From Lapin in the comments:

Here is a beautifully-performed setting of the hymn by the 15th c Franco-Flemish composer Guillaume Dufay, alternating plainchant and polyphony based on plainchant. Hope you enjoy.

6 comments:

  1. Here is a beautifully-performed setting of the hymn by the 15th c Franco-Flemish composer Guillaume Dufay, alternating plainchant and polyphony based on plainchant. Hope you enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lapin, I do like Dufay's music. I've sung the plainchat to veni creator spiritus, but I love his polyphony. Thank you for prompting this Mimi.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lapin, that's lovely. Thank you. We learned the chant in elementary school. The nuns and the singing teacher did wonders with a bunch of kids. This was no select choir doing the chanting, but the entire group of children. The expectation was that we could do it, and we did.

    We also learned to chant an entire Latin mass. I don't know which version, but one Sunday, when I went to mass at Les Invalides in Paris in the 1980s, the same version was sung, and I could sing along from memory. The early memories are those that last.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lapin,

    Thank you for the lovely gift.

    Joy and peace,
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lapin, as you see, I moved your link to an update.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We sang the English version yesterday. And the choir also sang Moses Hogan's arrangement of "Every time I feel the Spirit."

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.