Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Feast Of The Birth Of John The Baptist


"The Birth of John the Baptist" - Jacopo Pontormo (1494 –1557)- Uffizi Gallery


Readings:

Psalm 85 or 85:7-13
Isaiah 40:1-11
Acts 13:14b-26
Luke 1:57-80


PRAYER

Almighty God, by whose providence your servant John the Baptist was wonderfully born, and sent to prepare the way of your Son our Savior by preaching repentance: Make us so to follow his teaching and holy life, that we may truly repent according to his preaching; and, following his example, constantly speak the truth, boldly rebuke vice, and patiently suffer for the truth's sake; through Jesus Christ your Son our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever.

In his biographical sketch of John the Baptist, James Kiefer says:

When John had been in prison for a while, he sent some of his followers to Jesus to ask, "Are you he that is to come, or is there another?" (Matthew 11:2-14) One way of understanding the question is as follows: "It was revealed to me that you are Israel's promised deliverer, and when I heard this, I rejoiced. I expected you to drive out Herod and the Romans, and rebuild the kingdom of David. But here I sit in prison, and there is no deliverance in sight? Perhaps I am ahead of schedule, and you are going to throw out the Romans next year. Perhaps I have misunderstood, and you have a different mission, and the Romans bit will be done by someone else. Please let me know what is happening."

I had never thought to see John's question to Jesus in this light, but it seems quite logical after reading Kiefer's note.


Psalm 85:8-13

Let me hear what God the Lord will speak,
for he will speak peace to his people,
to his faithful, to those who turn to him in their hearts.*
Surely his salvation is at hand for those who fear him,
that his glory may dwell in our land.

Steadfast love and faithfulness will meet;
righteousness and peace will kiss each other.
Faithfulness will spring up from the ground,
and righteousness will look down from the sky.
The Lord will give what is good,
and our land will yield its increase.
Righteousness will go before him,
and will make a path for his steps.


Image from Wiki.

2 comments:

  1. Sue-z hears that question as "Hey CUZ!!! I am like in jail???"

    FWIW
    jimB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tell Sue-z that's a great shorter version. If I could photoshop, I'd do a picture. MadPriest, where are you when we need you?

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.