Thursday, June 11, 2009

How Silly Of Me

A few days ago, I decided to look for a new brand of shampoo, one that would tame teh frizzies in my hair. The summer heat and humidity have arrived, along with teh frizzies.

On the shelves in the store I faced a vast array of choices, like the cereals, way too many choices, a bewildering array of choices. After I searched for a spell, I finally found a shampoo guaranteed to get the frizz out. The shampoos and conditioners were standing side by side, both guaranteed to stop teh frizzies. Simple person that I am, I hoped to get by with just the shampoo, without having to complicate my life with the conditioner.

Deep in my heart, I know that nothing short of drastic measures will stop teh frizzies in our kind of weather, but I continue to try. Inside the air-conditioned house, all is good after a shampoo and a work-over with the styling brush, but as soon as I step out the door, shampoos, conditioners, styling brush notwithstanding, all is for nought, because teh frizzies are back.

Back to the shelves and to make an already long story short, I grabbed a large size bottle and checked out. Later that evening, I showered and wet my hair down in preparation for the shampoo. I used the little liquid that was left in an old bottle and added the new "shampoo" to the mix. I noticed that there were not many suds, but I figured that anti-frizz shampoo doesn't produce much in the way of suds.

After I was out of the shower and dry, I put on my glasses and read the label on the "shampoo" bottle, only to discover that it contained conditioner and not shampoo. So my hair may not have been clean, but it was conditioned. And I still have teh frizzies. And I will have teh frizzies forever and ever.

Do I hear an, "Amen"?

16 comments:

  1. Same thing has happened to me, mixing conditioner and shampoo.

    Admittedly another blogger has just posted a picture of his shaved cat (a very annoyed looking cat) due to hair problems. It is a radical solution....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erp, I wasn't thinking of anything quite THAT drastic, but it would certainly solve my problem.

    Certain shaved animals are truly ashamed. I've seen the evidence more than once. Poor kitteh. But Merle's humans are surely happier. I hope she gets accustomed to her lack of fur rather quickly. And it will grow back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I wish I could have teh frizzies.... my limp very straight hair only gets limper and straighter in the humidity.

    Sigh....
    There's a moral in here for the both of us, I guess!

    --it's margaret

    ReplyDelete
  4. Take my frizzies! I'll swap!

    Would "the grass is always greener...." cover it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe we could do do a two for one. It's Margaret and I will swap for your frizzies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My frizzies are still frizzed too but I have yet to try this way of dealing with them. Too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amelia, it's a deal.

    Fran, I love your frizzies, just not my frizzies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey -- because of the economy I have given up on artificially induced frizzies. They recover way better than my flat hair from being under a ski helmet for a day.

    Whatever works.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mimi - I hate to play into stereotypes, but I, personally, would never buy a hair care product, much less an important article of clothing, without checking first with a gay man. Not all gay men, of course, but most have an earned degree in the fine art of presentation.

    I have a list of gay boyfriends I call for advice about hair care products, another about which wine to serve with the dinner I'm preparing, and another when I think there may be something wrong with my car. They can't necessarily tell me how to fix it, but they will point me to a garage where the work is trustworthy and good.

    Oh, I have lists of lesbian girlfriends I also check in with for finding the best sales on comfortable shoes, another for best places to shop for vegetarian and vegan foods, another to give me a good review on books or movies, and yet another for the best route for a road trip. Most of my lesbian friends are also great to call when the car needs fixed. (I once changed the oil in my car while on the phone with one of my lesbian friends. Another time, one talked me through changing a flat tire.)

    Want your bad hair days to be over forever? Get yourself a few gay male boyfriends, honey. It will change your life. Srsly.

    And, GP won't even have an inkling of jealousy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have I got a product recommendation for you. It's called Sabino Moisture Block.

    http://www.sabinohair.com/TipsMBlock.php

    It's really wonderful stuff. It helps dry hair not be so dry by keeping moisture in and it helps frizzy hair not be so frizzy by keep moisture out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. SusanKay, I hear ya.

    Elizabeth, I see that I shall need to start making some people lists.

    For better or for worse, (surely for worse) I do my own thing with hairstyle and dress.

    I may ask advice on wine, because I know nothing in that area.

    As for the car, I don't even think about trying.

    I wear nothing but comfortable shoes, and I could probably use advice for that.

    In truth, it's not often that I pay attention to anything beyond the basics of grooming, but every so often, I get really unhappy about one or another of my physical characteristics and try to make small adjustments.

    Once a month, my hair looks really good, when I get my hair cut and styled. Quite a few folks have told me that I should be grateful for my hair. Since I am an inept hair stylist, I suppose I should, because it mostly does itself.

    As to Grandpère not being jealous of my gay friends, think again there. He be jealous. I'm not quite sure of what, but he be jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ruth, thanks for the tip. I'll check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like your best option would be to move to a mellower climate.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Can't do it, Erika. My family is here, plus I'd need to leave my husband of nearly 48 years.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think we need some sort of national or maybe international frizz-a-thon. In the winter time my hair is nearly straight, but now that humid season has hit, I sometimes pass a store window and see a few locks of hair standing straight up. Once I was singing with my choir at some deanery event and was, as they say, getting into it. A woman from the congregation came up to me later and said that she was distracted by the way the curls on top of my head kept bouncing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I sometimes pass a store window and see a few locks of hair standing straight up.

    Mary, I know exactly what you mean. And your choir story - too funny.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.