Wednesday, June 17, 2009

I Had To Do It


I changed my blog background color to green in solidarity with the protesters in Iran after watching the tee vee tonight. If the Iranian people have the courage to demonstrate in the streets and the Iranian players on the World Cup soccer team have the courage to wear their green arm bands on TV, possibly at great risk to themselves, then I can make my blog green at no risk at all to myself to stand with them.




UPDATE: If you'd like to know more about the demonstration today and the general situation in Iran, read Juan Cole's post at Informed Comment.

9 comments:

  1. Solidarité !

    The green background is a delicate shade, sort of misty green. Easy on the eyes, and an eloquent gesture, as well.

    The Iranian people are proving the power of peaceful, nonviolent resistance. Maybe we're witnessing the second Iranian Revolution.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brave footballers indeed! I shall look in the wardrobe myself for green.

    I have a tie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Suuuuuuure!!

    My last name is Green and I show it everyday!!

    I like the green,..it's earthly and soothing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll wear green today Grandmère Mimi, and I'll pray for them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. At first, I had the bright green, but my eyes couldn't take it. I like the soft Green.

    The Iranian people need our prayers. I pray that the demonstrations will not be violently suppressed. Larger crowds are expected today as the people will be out in the streets to mourn the 7 who were killed other day. If more are killed today, then there will be more days of mourning.

    Lord, have mercy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. David G., why not ask everyone to call you Green today, instead of David? Like the upper class Brits. "Green, my good fellow, how are you?"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Margaret, thanks. We'll see what we will see. Who would have thought?

    The Republicans, who were pushing to bomb Iran a while back, are now pushing the president to be more forceful in his statements in favor of the dissidents. I hope Obama does not go that way, because if the protests are seen as fueled by the US, that will not be a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Grandmère, thanks for including the sexy footballers in solidarity.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.