Friday, June 12, 2009

Wenchoster Calendar For June (The Month)




During my trip to England, when our group of bloggers met for lunch at the Tiled Hall in Leeds back in March, Canon Daphne Pullover, who writes the regular feature, The Word From Wormingdale in the "Pharisaios Journal", brought me a gift packet from the Diocese of Wenchoster. Ever since April I have been trying to post the calendar without success. I don't have a scanner. Finally, finally with the help of another staff member from the diocese, here is the calendar.

If you click on the calendar for the larger view, you will see the feast days and activities in the diocese. The names of certain of the saints are unfamiliar to me, but I'm sure that their calendar must be the most accurate.

If you are feeling lazy, too lazy to click, the dates, feasts, and activities are listed below:

1. Feast of the Visitation.

2. Feria.

3. Feast of St. Gregory the Hirsute. (Town barbers will be closed this day.)

4. Feast of St. Olive the Unsteady.

5. Feria. The "Nine Bells," Privy Street is being cleaned this day.

6. Wenchoster Cathedral Pilgrimage

7. TRINITY SUNDAY (Diocesan churches will use the Athanasian Creed at all services this day, including the Churching of Women.)

8. Feast of St. Constance of the Infirmed.

9. Feria. It always is.

10. Holy Mysteries bread baking day.

11. CORPUS CHRISTI PROCESSIONS EVERYWHERE!

12. Feast of St. Barnabas, transferred (forcibly.)

13. HM the Queen’s Official Birthday

14. THE FIRST SUNDAY IN TRINITY

15. Diocesan Cricket Competition begins. Howzat!

16. Feria.

17. Feria. Also.

18. Wenchoster Cottage Hospital Gift Day.

19. Vestment Design Fair (Archdeaconry of Trickling Down.)

20. “Nine Bells” Beer & Cheese Festival Week begins.


21. THE SECOND SUNDAY IN TRINITY

22. Feria

23. St. Laura the Tiresome

24. Nativity of John the Baptist

25. Feria. It always is.

26. Feria. Also

27. Petertide Ordinations

28. THE THIRD SUNDAY IN TRINITY

29. Peter and Paul, Apostles. The two greatest.

30. Feria. Again.

I can't say why the list from the diocese stops at June 20. When I have time, I will post I had time, and I posted the rest of the dates.

A closing picture:


7 comments:

  1. St. Laura the Tiresome sounds like fun to me, I wonder if there's any further information...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked Olive the Unsteady. That Daphne Pullover - if I wasn't happily married......

    ReplyDelete
  3. St. Laura reminds me of certain folks living today. No names, of course.

    DP, remember what the Gospel says about lust in the heart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. DP - I liked you too, especially the way you ate two main courses at our lunch. I love a man with an appetite for the pure physical pleasures such activities bring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tch, tch. Such carrying-on in my comments.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, Grandmere, he's a man. What else do you expect?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, Daphne, you're quite an attractive woman, so I understand DP's temptation. He's not bad-looking, either. Plus, you have the same initials. Maybe it's karma.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.