Saturday, June 13, 2009

Oh Dear!


On Thursday, I went to sign up for a membership for me and my two grandchildren to use the olympic-sized swimming pool at the university here in town. We fudged a little to get the membership, since use of the pool is restricted to faculty, staff, retirees, and their immediate families. Although grandchildren are once removed from immediate family, I smoothed that out with the person in charge, assuring them that I would have only two grandchildren with me, not a horde. The charge was $50.00, which seems quite reasonable.

On Friday, my grandchildren and I prepared ourselves with the swimwear, beach towels, sun screen, and earplug and headed over to the pool, only to find it LOCKED. So. There we were, the children hyped for a dip in the pool on a hot, muggy day, but now looking quite mournful. We found out that the pool is closed on Friday afternoons in the summer. Now we know.

Back in the car, I asked them what they would like as a treat, since their plans for their swim were frustrated. They suggested that we go to Chubby's Ice Cream Parlor. How's that name for reminding you that everything you consume there will make you fat and clog your arteries? Ah, that may be true, but their offerings are irresistible. My grandson had a Birthday Cake flavor cup of ice cream, with two toppings, and my granddaughter chose the Rainbow sherbet, while I had an old-fashioned strawberry milk shake, just like the olden days, rich and full of real whole strawberries and yummy ice cream churned together in a delicious thick mixture. I tasted their ice cream and sherbet, and both were yummy. The visit to Chubby's served to somewhat, if not completely, mollify the kids for the denial of their afternoon swim.

Then we headed off to the local bookstore, Cherry's Books, to order a book which my granddaughter is assigned to read during the summer. I'm pleased that we now have a locally-owned bookstore. I hope they prosper and stay in business for a while. We've had the locals come and go. The competition is fierce with the discounts offered by the chains and online giants.

We'll try again to have a swim next week.

16 comments:

  1. I like it, that's truth in advertising!
    I still have great memories of going to the pool with my older brothers and sister when I was a kid, I know they will have those same wonderful memories with Mimi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like my idea of a perfect day - ice cream & books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What Chubby´s? I read Hubby´s! You´ve got to stop writing things here that are threatening and/or damaging to my denial.

    Happy Summertime!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope we can begin to make memories from the pool next week. I won't be surprised if the kids demand that Chubby's be a regular part of the summer memories.

    Petty, the bookstore is a lovely place, like the old-fashioned bookstores and quite child-friendly.

    Leo, sorry. It's Chubby's. And I'm supposed to be on a low-fat diet for my cholesterol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've reminded me of an ice cream dessert called a Knickerbocker Glory that I used to adore eating when I was on holiday at Scarborough in Yorkshire as a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lapin, it looks and sounds truly naughty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We were still used to - in fact we were still on - post-war rationing, so it seemed pretty naughty at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah Knickerbockerglories! I remember them so well. With their unfeasibly long teaspoons which always had you up to your arms in icecream by the end. And the hundreds and thousands sprinkled on top of the whipped cream which slid over the sides. And always, at the very bottom, the final treat - one huge glace cherry.

    Excuse me whilst I take a few minutes to sink into a reverie....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mimi, don't ever order a milk shake in New England, you'd be terribly disappointed—it's essentially flavored milk (the best ones use real fruit) blended with ice. What you had is called a frappe and yours sounded wonderful (strawberry is my favorite).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lapin and Ostrich, you have my mouth watering over your Knickerbockers from days of yore.

    Amelia, I don't usually order milk shakes at all, because they're not what they used to be. I had another excellent shake at The Soda Shop in Davidson, when we went to Doxy and Dear Friend's wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lapin. I know the shop you mean in Scarborough. My family used to holiday there every year & we always visited this ice cream parlour. Anyway Hubby and I were at a wedding in Scarborough last year and I revisited said shop - the ice creams were exactly as I remembered them, yummy. By the way my favourite is a banana split which, Like the knickerbocker glory, contains fruit so I don't feel quite as guilty.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was in Scarborough for about 5 minutes to change trains, because the train door did not open in Thornaby, so I didn't have time to make a run to the ice cream shop.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gosh, nice to know some things don't change, Petty. Must have been 1953 when I was there.

    Just think, Mimi, at that moment Fate stared you in the eye with the decision whether to meet MP or to consume your first Knickerbocker Glory.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Had I known about the Knickerbocker....

    ReplyDelete
  15. No contest. And my friends who are qualified to advise me say the KG lasts longer too. Thankfully I can't pass comment.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.