Wednesday, June 17, 2009

What We Did Yesterday

 

Yesterday, Grandpère and I headed for New Orleans with our two grandchildren from Thibodaux to meet my daughter and her three sons to visit the Audubon Insectarium in the downtown area. Our first stop was Mulate's for lunch. Well, it cost the earth for our tribe, but the food was good, and the restaurant was casual enough that our noisy, unruly bunch did not disturb the other diners unduly.


 

Then we were off to the Insectarium, which we incorrectly thought was nearer than it turned out to be. We had quite a walk in the hot, hot sun, six or seven blocks on brick and concrete, and while I was wearing comfortable sandals, my ancient feet call for walking shoes for this type of exercise.

Pictured above are the young 'uns of the group far ahead, with GP and I lagging well behind, out of the picture. In truth GP was lagging behind to stay with slow me, because he's a fast walker on his own, and he wore his walking shoes.

The Audubon Insectarium is quite well done. We learned that cockroaches could very likely survive a nuclear war (slightly tongue-in-cheek, but I suspect a definite possibility) and all sorts of little known and fascinating facts about insects, along with seeing colonies and live specimens of the insects themselves, plus fossils. My favorites amongst the fossils were the perfect specimens preserved in amber.

From the review of the Insectarium in the New York Times:

What is it about these creatures? In the new $25 million Audubon Insectarium, which opened here in June, you can watch Formosan termites eat through a wooden skyline of New Orleans (as if this city didn’t have enough problems), stick your head into a transparent dome in a kitchen closet swarming with giant cockroaches and watch dung beetles plow their way through a mound of waste. And then you can engage in the museum’s most brilliant interactivity by joining in the line of eager visitors prepared to munch on a handful of crunchy Cajun-fried crickets or scoop up some wax-worm stir fry.

“Gross!” your inner adolescent is likely to shout with a smiling shudder. But visitors of all ages to the Bug Appétit buffet, situated just behind the museum’s Tiny Termite Café, keep lining up for seconds. And for every sight that inspires shocked amazement, there is another where sheer wonder wins out. O.K., it’s fascinating to learn that a cockroach can survive for weeks without its head, or that millipedes secrete a foul-smelling liquid that you can touch, or that one of every four species on this planet is a form of beetle. But you can also watch a colony of leaf-cutter ants at work. They carry their jaw-torn green bounty into their maze of tunnels where, in one chamber open for inspection, the workers cultivate a gray fungus found nowhere else in nature; that fungus feeds the entire colony.


A couple of us, including me, ate a cricket cookie, which tasted pretty much like a chocolate chip cookie and was fine so long as I didn't permit the thought of what I was eating linger too long in my mind. My daughter tasted the cricket dip, but she did not like it at all.

I was eager to get to the butterfly room, where you walk amongst the butterflies and, if you're lucky, one will land on you. I wore a pink shirt to attract them to me, but alas! - I was not one of the fortunate. My grandson and my daughter hit the jackpot as shown below.

Perched on GS's finger



This beauty liked my daughter's hair. She would have killed me if I had shown her face with every pore visible.

The butterfly room was lovely, the best saved for last, even if I didn't have a close encounter.


 

Then we were off on the looong walk back to the car - or rather the SUV that rode us all. Everyone else seemed to do well on the walk, except me. My feet hurt, and I felt a blister forming on my little toe, which, of course, grew larger and became more painful the more I walked. What with the heat, the sun, and my aching feet, I soon was lost in a generalized misery that had no real focus. The walk seemed to stretch for miles, but that was only in my head. It would have been an easy stroll under different circumstances. GP tried to cheer me on by telling stories and such. Finally, I told him, "You know, I really don't give a sh*t about anything you're telling me. I'm miserable, and I just want to get to the car."

The picture above shows a Hubig's Pies truck. I've loved Hubig Pies since I was a child, and the pie man came around the neighborhoods selling the fried pies from a bicycle cart. Peach pies were my favorites. I was in such a state, that I didn't even notice the truck until the picture loaded into my computer.

This sort of post is quite time-consuming, but I do it because I love you all and hope that you will enjoy it and, at the same time, appreciate just a little all the hard work that goes into it. In truth, I enjoy writing this kind of post.

So. Sometimes I'm nice, and sometimes I'm not so nice, as with poor Grandpère, who stuck with me and tried to cheer me up, only to have me snarl at him.

We reached home around 7 PM, and I was completely exhausted, but, all things considered, it was a good day of family bonding and family togetherness.

Mwah!

18 comments:

  1. I'm sure you had a fine day! But, oh, I pity your poor feet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mimi this reminds me: Once, while we were in "irons" out on the river in our sailboat, my DH was in his Capt. Bligh mode. The kids were being pills; it was blistering hot. I stood up and bashed my head against the boom. My DH asked me snarkily if this was the first time out on a boat for me....well, H#** flew in me and I jumped overboard and swam to shore and walked back to the marina.
    Sometimes family bonding is over rated.
    I am glad you're home and in the cool!
    amyj

    ReplyDelete
  3. Göran, my poor feet, indeed!

    Amy, LOL! That beats my story by a mile. Talk about a temper tantrum! That's showin' 'em.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hilarious take on pauvre GP. You must love him unconditionally to trust that he will not at least clam up in self-defense in light of your cussed response to his concern. Or worse, that he'll respond by giving you not only a dirty look but a good back cussin'.

    I'm still chuckling, and fondly remembering that my mother (rest her soul) let fly the "S" word at my father every once in a while. Usually when she was wracked with pain from arthritis and just couldn't stand his patronizing coddling, no matter how well-intended.

    This post was marvelous and, if I may say so, well worth the effort it took for you to refocus from your tired ole doggs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would have said the same thing. Come to think of it, I often do, with far less reason.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Crapaud, pauvre Grandpère, indeed! I believe he is the one with unconditional love. He didn't clam up, but I stopped paying attention. I was entirely focused on my own misery. At that moment it was truly all about me.

    Thanks for your kind words about my post.

    Alice, me, too. It's no use my putting up a pious front, because it won't hold up for long.

    However, my faith is real, and I love God, and I am confident that God loves me back, wicked as I am.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved the insect parts! I must be a kid at heart. (As if you didn't know.) Thanks for the tour! And I hope you got to soak your feet...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful post, Mimi. I'm so sorry you got a blister. That's the worst. Did you have some Dr. Scholl's remedies at home? Or soak your feet in Epsom Salts? That was my mother's remedy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mimi, I am so jealous of the grandkid part that I can almost overlook the misery of the poor feet...sadly, I know that those dangs feet can take the pleasure out of almost any joy...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jane, the insects are fascinating little and not-so-little critters. On one computer, you could build your own insect, with the head from one species, the body from another, and the tail from yet another.

    Susan, I haven't done much for my feet. A good rest last night, and they were fine, except for the blister, which I treated with antibiotic cream and band-aids.

    Barbi, it's wonderful having the grandchildren nearby.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you had the family time.

    For a second I misread your comment as "Thanks for your kind words about my pAst. " I thought to myself, "I MUST read more closely."

    ReplyDelete
  12. Paul, I assure you that I won't be writing the more lurid stories of my pAst, so you can stop holding your breath.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes U will..when the climate is right!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah, David, I don't think so. You shouldn't wait, either.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I loved this post for many reasons, but I am sorry about your foot.

    And you ate a cricket cookie, as always, you are a better woman than me!

    I once went to a butterfly room exhibit at the Museum of Natural History in NYC. It was great - I loved seeing your photos of the butterflies!

    Take care of your feet!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fran, feets is all better, thanks, but I won't soon forget the walk. Poor Grandpère.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for sharing your day with us all - Miss 3 & I really enjoyed reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Alcibiades, welcome! Thank you. I hope that you censored my profanity for Miss 3. I try to keep this a family blog, but sometimes I slip.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.