Wednesday, July 15, 2009

"The Hangover"


With Bradley Cooper, Ed Helms, Zach Galifianakis, Justin Bartha

Today I planned to take my two grandchildren to see "The Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs". The reviews were mixed, leaning toward the negative, but that's what the kids wanted to see. Due to my tardiness compounded by my granddaughter's tardiness, we were late for the intended showing and decided to wait for the next. I bought them lunch at Wendy's and took them to my house to eat. While we were there, my son called to say that he got off work early, and that he was headed for my house. Once the children realized that their dad was going to be home, they decided that they wanted to be with him, rather than go to the movies, because they were leaving later in the day to go to their mom's for a week. That was fine with me.

The other day, my daughter went to see "The Hangover", and she said that I might like it. She said it could possibly be a bit too raunchy for me, but that it was funny. I checked the reviews at "Rotten Tomatoes", which were 79% positive. Since I had movie on my mind, and the timing was right, I decided to go.

What can I say? It was a comedy for 12 year old boys, but pitched to an "adult" age group. What's the equivalent of a chick flick for males? Except that it was not a romance, but a comedy. Howevah...I laughed and laughed. The movie tells the story of the pre-wedding bachelor party from hell. I didn't recognize any of the actors except Ed Helms, from "The Daily Show", who was his usual hilarious self. Ugly male butts, potty mouth humor, all the usual low comedy tricks for the 12 year old demographic were present, but, nevertheless, I enjoyed the show.

What does it say about my daughter and me that we liked this movie?

8 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to seeing this at some point. I laughed until I hurt when I saw The 40 Year Old Virgin. I don't dare tell any of my pious coworkers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That you are fun and delightfully NOT stuffy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "It was a comedy for 12 year old boys, but pitched to an "adult" age group. What's the equivalent of a chick flick for males?"

    Grandmere --might the equivalent to a chick flick be a dick flick?

    --just sayin'.....
    (delete me if I've been too rude!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Göran, sound? You're very kind, but I'm not sure if that's true.

    Alice, my daughter sent me to "The 40 Year Old Virgin", too. She said if I laughed at that movie, then I'd like "Hangover" - which I did.

    Paul, "stuffy" is not at all how I think of myself, my dear, nor is it the way I'd want to be.

    Margaret! I'm so sorry we lost each other in the crowd on Sunday. I didn't have your cell phone number to call you, because when I asked you for it before we left, you couldn't find it. I hope that you and your friends didn't wait long for me before going to eat.

    Of course, I won't delete you. As Paul said, I'm not stuffy. Dick flick is good. I recommended the movie to my sons and Grandpère.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could not even begin to imagine you as stuffy. A lady, yes. Do you think I'm old enough to watch Hangover?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Paul, it will reinforce every idea you ever had about the inherent deficiencies of straight males. Indeed, I don't know if you're old enough for that.

    Just kidding! Just kidding! That's for straight guys who may be lurking.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This one surprised me with how funny it was and how likeable the characters. Both thumbs up!

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.