Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Join With "Disney Be Faithful"

From Elizabeth at Telling Secrets:

This afternoon at 4:30, I will join hundreds of other Episcopalians here at Convention as well as other religious leaders from the area in supporting the Prayer Vigil and March organized by the group "Disney Be Faithful," representing 2150 employees of the three Disneyland Hotels: Paradise Pier, Grand Californian and Disneyland Hotel.
....

When I signed up to march last Monday, I was approached by one of the organizers with a request I agreed to but I'm still processing.

"Mother," he said (as I winced), "would you stay with us at the end of the march? We're asking some of the clergy to anoint the workers, and it would be wonderful to have you with us."
....

"You may not be aware, Mother," he said politely, "that for the workers, this Prayer Vigil and March is a big risk. We need to be anointed for the work of justice, after this event, so that we will find the strength to go back to our jobs. Just a little sign from God that He will continue to be with us after the support of this event."

"We know you have probably not brought your oils with you to this place, so we will have some for you. Will you help us? It would mean so much to some of us for a woman to anoint us for the work of justice."

"Anointed for justice."


Elizabeth mentioned the request to me and asked me what I thought, and I said, "Elizabeth, it's a lovely idea. Do it." And I'm so very pleased that she said, "Yes". Please join with the group in spirit and in prayer.

My God fill them with the Holy Spirit. My God give them strength and courage. May God protect them from all harm during and after their march and vigil.

That's 4:30 PST.

4 comments:

  1. Elizabeth's post moved me so much that when I read it out loud to Liz earlier this afternoon I choked up.

    We're about to sit down to a latish supper -- it's nearly 7:30 PST now and ours prayers will be with the Disney workers and with Elizabeth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Allen, I have one of their buttons. They're assembling about now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let us all be with them in prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will be posting on this later tonight but I must say that it was AMAZING. THIS is where the church should be - not arguing about what sacraments the baptized may be allowed, but in the streets, with the people, doing the work of justice.

    Wait till you see the pictures!

    Thanks so much for all your prayers. You were very much present with all of us.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.