Thursday, July 16, 2009

Surprised By Grace

While I was in Anaheim, I attended a eucharistic celebration every day. In fact, one day I attended two - the regular morning Eucharist and the Integrity Eucharist. As Mary (who comments here), Ann, and I walked in my first morning, we were asked if we wanted to be eucharistic ministers. I asked Ann, "Can anyone do it?" She said, "Yes". I said I would if I could do the bread, rather than the wine. Mary decided to sing with the choir.

On our instruction sheets, we were told that after sharing the peace, the ministers should go to their assigned section and stand on the marks on the floor to be in place when the baskets of consecrated bread and the pitchers of consecrated wine and wine cups were carried to the different sections.

As I was waiting, I had a moment of panic as I thought, "Can I do this right?" And then I thought of the words that I would say, and I scurried over to Ann, who was standing not far away, and said, "It's 'The Body of Christ, the bread of heaven', right?" Ann assured me that was correct, and I went back to my place and waited and prayed to get through my part in the service without making a major gaffe.

When the people began to come toward me to receive communion, I was so very moved by the expressions on their faces. Some were radiant and smiling; others bowed their heads solemnly in reverence, but all seemed quite aware that something powerful and wonderful was taking place. I almost lost it right in the beginning. It was the faces, all the beautiful faces. I did lose it and cry after I finished my duties as a lay minister.

If the people looked at me, I looked them in the eye (pace, MadPriest). It was about Jesus. And it was about the person receiving, and about me, the person giving, and Jesus in the one receiving and Jesus in me. It was communion! And it was lovely.

The next day, I was asked to do it again, and I was quite pleased to say, "Yes!"

"The Body of Christ. The Bread of Heaven."

17 comments:

  1. It's a wonderful feeling isn't it? I never get over the sheer power and grace of such a humble act. I'm so glad you had the opportunity to experience this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rick, words are not adequate to describe what it was like. As I said, the grace and beauty of the experience was close to overwhelming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...often brings me to tears, too, grandmere. I'm so glad you were "graced" with that ministry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this. Although it isn't about us - we're only channels of the Lord's blessing - it's like we get a bit of that blessing ourselves as it passes through us, isn't it? I never get tired of it, and am always thankful for the privilege of doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like the others said, it is such a privilege. There really are no adequate words to describe the mystery and the connection.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You and I spoke about this last night. I am so glad that you had this opportunity to cooperate with grace. Feed my sheep, He said and that is what you did.

    It is a beautiful ministry and a privilege indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Mimi for posting this. I served a the Lay eucharistic minister for the very first time several weeks ago, and was blown away by the mere act of offering the "Blood of Christ, the cup of salvation." It was very uplifting and spiritual.
    I can't imagine what it's like to serve hundreds.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sort of seems to sum up the Spirit of GC2009, does it not. "Can anyone do it? Yes."

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so very grateful for having had the honor of serving as a lay minister.

    Crapaud, that anyone could do it was a huge part of the beauty and wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  10. As the years go by it is never stale and always an overwhelming grace. I often get teary too during or after being able to feed God's people (and we are all God's people).

    What joy to read that you were able to do this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Paul, I was once, for a brief period, a lay eucharistic minister in the Roman Catholic Church, but that's a long story, which I may tell some time. For now, I'll just say that it didn't work out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It was about Jesus. And it was about the person receiving, and about me, the person giving, and Jesus in the one receiving and Jesus in me'

    Chere Mimi, your account is so wonderful- the essence of our life as the Body of Christ, and I'm willing to bet not an experience you'll forget soon.

    As blessed as you were to minister, we're blessed by your sharing. Thank-you

    ReplyDelete
  13. This brought tears to my eyes too. I also regularly mist up in church as well - usually doing communion. It always feels so communal and so full of love. The sacred ritual of feeding each other has always meant a lot to me.

    I've been sort of boycotting church for a few weeks now - for totally unimportant reasons of feeling left out and not being 'in with the in crowd.' Posts like your's remind me how silly I can be and I will be going back.

    (I wish I could this Sunday, but I have to schlep a child to sleepaway camp.)

    ReplyDelete
  14. How wonderful that you were able to be there - at the right place at the right time - - but then again, in God there is little coincidence and a heck of a lot of grace!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Both times were intervals of great grace and favor, but I can't emphasize how much it meant to me that anyone could be a minister.

    David, it was the Body of Christ. It was communion.

    Hilary, you're in Jesus' crowd. That's what counts. But I understand that feeling left out in your church community can make you not eager to go.

    Joanna, the wind blows where it chooses. I'm so glad it chose to blow my way on those two occasions.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.