Saturday, August 1, 2009

Charlotte - Too Good To Be Buried In The Comments

From the post titled "Politeness and the Death of the Church of England" at Of Course, I Could Be Wrong in which MadPriest says:

The Grand Tufti's response to the votes taken at TEC's general convention understandably resulted in many of my American friends saying "Well, stuff them all. We'll go it alone." As my main fear in this ongoing battle is that the US church will adopt an isolationist policy and leave the rest of the world's progressives high and dry, I called them to task on this.

Charlotte has left a new comment on the post "politeness and the death of the church of england":

Indeed we in the Episcopal Church are running out of patience with the ABC and the C of E. But that's not all. Now that the C of E is beginning to suffer the depradations of FoCA-UK, its members are beginning to see what we've had to live through. They could have avoided this by helping to defend us earlier, but they didn't. (MP, you and a few others excepted.) They loved all those lurid tabloid stories about Those Awful Americans too much. Or something.

Well, minds are changing. So any in the C of E who wish to do so are welcome to make as many polite and ineffective gestures of sympathy for TEC as they feel they have time for in their busy schedules. But perhaps we should refer these English offers of help to Dr. Johnson's reply to Lord Chesterfield:

"Is not a patron, my lord, one who looks with unconcern on a man struggling for life in the water, and, when he has reached ground, encumbers him with help? The notice which you have been pleased to take of my labours, had it been early, had been kind; but it has been delayed till I am indifferent, and cannot enjoy it: till I am solitary, and cannot impart it; till I am known, and do not want it. I hope it is no very cynical asperity not to confess obligations where no benefit has been received, or to be unwilling that the public should consider me as owing that to a patron, which providence has enabled me to do for myself."


Indeed, to his credit, MadPriest been at the forefront to stand with the Episcopal Church in the US against the depredations of our many adversaries. Pluralist, and others whom I don't mention, have stood with us. I'm grateful, and I thank them. They foresaw that what was happening in the US was a vision of the future in which the Church of England would face the same adversaries, with only the names being different.

However, the Archbishop of Canterbury and his sidekick, Bishop Tom Wright, have exacerbated the troubles in TEC by their confusing, intemperate rhetoric, thereby encouraging the breakaways and wanna-be breakaways to believe that they will soon be part of the World Wide Anglican Church Communion without the onerous burden of having to be part of TEC. Others in England, even those in high places whom we might have expected to share our concerns, have remained silent or were just not paying attention. Where were you when we needed you?

That's not to say that those of us in the US should return like for like and turn away from our brothers and sisters in the Church of England. I go on record to say that we must take note and do what we can to help them in their present hour of need.

9 comments:

  1. It seems to me that the painful ¨self-crucifying¨ and ¨fasting¨ Seasons are over and the messy intruders are being dealt with, one by one their thieving and arrogance haulted...I wasn´t ever any good at sitting quietly but I do see now the value in the extended process of dealing with TEC life has delivered us to a more confident and stronger emotional place...I believe The Episcopal Church core membership has emerged with the kind of spiritual vitality I´ve rarely seen before in any setting...knowing the difference between right and wrong is a process afterall and we can see good from bad is also a Anglican destinction that has grave consequences for many ten of thousands of our brothers and sisters at the Body of Christ.

    After the all clear sounds and the mubbling and night raids stop, we will remain at a place where everyone is amongst the beloved at all levels of Churchlife...fear, anger and bewilderment didn´t get the best of us afterall...we´ve passed the test.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must confess--I get REALLY angry with those English priests who come over to MP's and say "I support you, but....I can't sign my name for fear of losing my pension."

    Just what is it going to take to get them to come out of the closet? Do they care about anything but their comfy little retirements? Do they care at all about the fact that the Church of England is becoming more and more irrelevant to the average person? Do they give a damn about Jesus?

    Why do they think it's "someone else's responsibility" to come over there and make things right for them? If they won't even stand up for themselves, why should anyone else?

    MadPriest has put everything on the line to be a witness for the Gospel--and it may very well prove costly for him. But he will have the satisfaction of knowing he did everything he could to live out God's call. What will the rest of them tell themselves when +Wright, +Akinola, and company are running the show?

    I didn't realize just how testy I was about this issue until I started typing. I should probably delete this, have a glass of wine, and try again---but I'm not going to. Sometimes people need to be told "It's time to grow a pair and fight for what you believe in." Assuming, of course, that they believe in anything at all, other than protecting their own cowardly hides...

    Doxy

    ReplyDelete
  3. After the all clear sounds and the mubbling and night raids stop, we will remain at a place where everyone is amongst the beloved at all levels of Churchlife...fear, anger and bewilderment didn´t get the best of us afterall...we´ve passed the test.

    Leo, I hope so. Without the controversy, I may have stayed oblivious to the shameful treatment of our GLTB brothers and sisters by the church, the body whose raison d'etre is to present the face of Jesus to the world.

    Doxy, please have your glass of wine, but don't delete your comment. What you said needs saying. MadPriest put his job on the line for us, and he deserves great credit for that. But he did not have a whole lot of company.

    I'm willing to help the progressives in the CofE, but the major thrust will need to come from the English themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS to Doxy: If you delete your comment, I will add it to the body of the post in an update. Just sayin'. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mimi,
    Perhaps I identify with your "radicalization" by the incredible struggle for real inclusion of all the baptized in our Episcopal Church. I'm a fifty-something, mogamous-with-one-woman-forever entitled white male. I've loved TEC since I was confirmed as a teen-ager, and I've served on vestries, committees, and, for many years, as an EFM mentor. But now I'm on fire for truth and justice for all G-d's people. I am convicted that our church will become a much stronger witness to the power of Jesus the Christ's healing grace as we shed the mantle of patriarchy for the love of freedom. And yes, there are many wonderful progressive Christians in the C of E(see St. James, Picadilly, for instance), but the sorry truth is that the old, white men still have all of the cookies in England(but not in Ireland and Scotland!)
    I have great optimism for our little Church. Remember mustard seeds?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hell, MONOGAMOUS.
    Surely not very important in G-d's eyes,or anyone elses.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, John. In truth, I never in my wildest dreams thought I'd be where I am today, especially at my advanced age.

    The "We will lose members!" argument against full inclusion of all the baptized doesn't move me at all. I'll be sorry if that happens, but our focus must be on doing what is right and just according to Gospel imperatives. People walked away from Jesus when he taught them hard things.

    I beat you in the monogamous category. I'll be at 49 years with one man in a few months. So far as I know, Grandpère has been with only one woman during that time.

    I didn't even notice your typo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What' the line from that song, "Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Funny you should say that, Elizabeth. Do you remember the first lines of the song?

    Busted flat in Baton Rouge, headin' for the trains,
    Feelin' nearly faded as my jeans.
    Bobby thumbed a diesel down just before it rained,
    Took us all the way to New Orleans.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.