Sunday, August 23, 2009

Lazy Sunday

Today I'm taking the day off from anything strenuous, even strenuous thinking. Yesterday, I took my 13 year old granddaughter clothes shopping. She wears uniforms to school, but she needed fall and winter clothes for the weekends. I told her that we'd tackle the fall clothing first and that winter outfits could wait. Sometimes the need for winter clothes arrives late in the year, indeed, and we'll cross that bridge later. GD is a serious shopper. She knows just where to go in the stores for her size. She, said, "I'm so lucky. I can still wear girls sizes, and now junior sizes fit, too, so I have two places to look."

She didn't miss a rack of clothes with her size in the entire store. She picked out 11 items to try on. I cautioned her that we would not be buying all 11 items, and she said, "Oh, I know that. I won't like the way some of them look, and others won't fit." That turned out to be the case. She picked out one pair of tight, worn-looking jeans, one dressy knit top, an adorable dress that both she and I loved, and black-beaded, strap-between-the-toe flip-flops, which I liked a lot, too. A little funk into the mix is fine. Oh, and three bras, but I probably should not tell you that. Then, to my delight, she was done for the day, with only one stop.

Clothes shopping for myself is no longer a pleasure, because nothing looks good on me. I need to lose weight, and my clothes are simply to cover me and make me presentable in polite society. However, I took great pleasure in shopping with GD. All the clothes look good on her attractive, budding figure. She is a trip, funny and enthusiastic about her shopping, reminding me of myself many years ago. Except that I was always searching for a bargain, so I headed for the sales racks first. GD doesn't give that a thought.

Afterward, we went to lunch at Sicily, a restaurant with an all-day buffet, one price for all you can eat. GD didn't eat much, and I ate too much. She's good company, and we have bonded in a way that we probably never would have if her parents had not divorced. For now, I am the principal feminine presence in her life during her time with her dad, and my time with her is precious to me.

14 comments:

  1. She's a lucky girl to have such a good relationship with her grandmere! It's a special bond.

    ReplyDelete
  2. my grandmother was the person who most reflected unconditional love. I think God is a grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
  3. IT, I'm lucky, too. She's a sweet and lovable girl.

    Ann, my grandmother showed me unconditional love, too. I'd agree that God is a grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a sweet story. I enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ruth, she actually skips through the stores at times. She's too funny.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How wonderful for both of you! I am far more down with the idea of Godde as grandmother than as father.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Which, for me, means there will be homemade baked goods in heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My rector said today in his sermon that "words will never hurt you" was a bunch of crap and proceeded to list the things that one (he, I think) heard from parents that are hurtful. He then talked about the idea that the Word that "was in the beginning" was the antidote to hurtful words we have, sadly, internalized. Yes, Godde as grandmother is She who brings healing. Lucky GD to have you present as a hint of Godde. --just a hint, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Paul, heaven is indeed homemade baked goods by Grandmother Godde.

    SusanKay, you are too kind. We bring healing to each other.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are a lucky grandmother and she is a lucky granddaughter. It is wonderful to see grands enjoying each other.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What the others have said so eloquently!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Two Auntees, my heart goes out to you. I am blessed, indeed.

    Thank God for your other children.

    Göran, thank you, my dear.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Everbody deserves a day off once in a while... and to spend it with a loved one is all the better! As precious as these times are to you, you know they will be precious memories for her, too. God makes saints to fill gaps in the world, and hold the pieces together.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tobias, I hope she'll have good memories of these days. I remember my that my grandmother's love for me was like no other love in my life. Not even Grandpère's. His sometimes seems to have conditions, if only for the moment - as does mine for him from his view, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.