Monday, August 31, 2009

Mary Landrieu's Town Hall Meeting


Well, here goes. Finally comes the post on the actual town meeting held by Mary Landrieu in Reserve, Louisiana, which I've been putting off for days, because, on the whole, the experience was most depressing, as you see if you read my initial post on the two hours waiting outside the door to get in. Part 2 is likely to be anticlimactic. This story has become what seems like a life's work for me, but it's been only a few days

What a relief at 1:00 PM, when the doors were opened, and we got inside the air-conditioned auditorium and off our feet into chairs. Of course, we were surrounded by anti-reform folks. The young woman sitting in front of us was a flight attendant for an airline on which I recently traveled. She said, "Hello," to me as though she knew me, and I responded. Although, she looked vaguely familiar to me, she lived in Baton Rouge, and I could not place her. I wondered if she had been an attendant on one of my flights in the last several months She was against health care reform, because, "I work hard for my money, and why should my tax money go to people who will not buy health insurance?" I asked about folks who couldn't buy health insurance, folks who were poor, folks who were sick and couldn't get insurance. She shrugged and said, "Well, I wouldn't want them to die on the street. They can to to the ER for free."

I asked her if she minded that trillions of her tax money went for a useless war in Irag. She said, "Oh, I love the Iraqi people. I love everyone in Iraq." One day, I will be found dead, and the cause of death should read (but won't), "Death by torture due to excessive exposure to non sequitur.

Once the man on my right learned that I was on the "wrong side" of the issue, he began to harangue me with his series of "facts" to attempt to turn me from my wicked ways. I pointed out that some of his "facts" were not true, and then, as he went on and on, I began to tire, and I said, "You will never convince me, and I will never convince you, so let's agree to disagree". He continued with his harangue, as though my words had never been said, with the folks nearby nodding their heads in agreement. Finally, I lost patience, and said, "Could you please stop. Just stop!" And he did.

The anti-reform folks took up their "Kill the bill! Kill the bill!" chant from time to time and shouted one-liners against reform. I thought to myself, "I'll be really angry if I stood outside in the heat for two hours to listen to folks chant".


A little after 2:00 PM, the meeting began. The man in the purple shirt in the picture is the Roman Catholic priest who gave the invocation and benediction. He's only a priest, mind you, and there he is wearing a bishop's purple shirt. Imagine! (An insider comment for Episcopalians) The MC was a lawyer from the area, Larry Aucoin, pictured above, who, before he introduced Sen. Landrieu, gave a very good pep talk on civility, and allowing folks to speak, and hearing people out. He said that Sen. Landrieu was there mainly to listen, which was indeed the case. After he introduced her, she made a few brief remarks, and then it was on to the questions from the attendees.


Sen. Landrieu, who shall be Mary from here on, said she hasn't made up her mind how she will vote. Mary often does this. I'm not sure if it's actually the truth, if she likes to be wooed, or if it's a defense against a long period of criticism, should she announce her position too early.

There was a bit of chanting, which died down rather quickly. I stood up and glared at a group of noisy standing-room-only folks, and I'm quite sure that my glare made them stop. Early on someone asked her a question about "the bill" that I didn't understand, and apparently Mary didn't either, because she said, "I'm not sure what you're referring to." Then the crowd started chanting, "Read the bill! Read the bill!" She told them, "There's more than one bill." And then to the questioner, "Which bill do you reference?" The 1000 page bill that came out of the House committee is the only bill the antis seem to reference. She, along with several other senators, is co-sponsor of a different health care bill in the Senate. I hand it to Mary. She really listened, and she repeatedly urged the rest of us to listen. She asked every questioner about their health care coverage to see where they were coming from, and she asked questions to gain a better understanding of the questioner's concerns.

There were a few questions about tort reform, which some folks seem to think would drastically reduce health care costs. Texas passed a law capping the amount that individuals can collect for personal injury lawsuits, but health care costs have not come down. That's not to deny that we are far too litigious in this country. Some amongst us want a perfect outcome from every medical treatment, and that's just not possible, however tort reform is not the panacea that some see it to be.

One woman asked her if she would give her word that she would never vote for a bill that included federal funding for abortion. Mary replied that she had never been in favor of federally funded abortions, but that according to the Constitution, women have a right to choose. That was a pretty deft, although cagey, answer. She promised nothing, stated that she was against federal funding for abortions, and reminded the audience about the right of women to choose.

Another questioner, with his copy of the Constitution in hand, asked where in the constitution does it say that the government has a right to legislate on health care. Oh my! I didn't even hear Mary's answer because I was so distracted by the stupidity of the question. Where does it say in the Constitution that the president can fly around in Air Force One? George Washington didn't.

I had my hand up, but I never was called on, however, it really didn't matter, because others mentioned my concerns, that a single-payer system would be best, and barring that, at the very least, a public option. Others told sad stories of being denied coverage by insurance companies because of pre-existing conditions and being thrown out by their company after a serious illness. A couple of people said that insurance companies would not say beforehand whether certain procedures were covered by their policy or not.


I came away with the sense that a great mass of the citizenry of the US have no care or concern for the common good. I've got mine, the hell with you. What's so sad about the knee-jerk opposition to health care reform is that a good many of the people against reform would probably benefit from it.

I have a lot more respect for Mary since the meeting. Considering the hostile crowd she faced and the anger and the ignorance, she was calm and poised and treated everyone with respect. Give her points for courage. She listened well, and, for the most part, answered the questions well. She stayed past the allotted time, thereby permitting more folks to have their say. I understand what she's up against as a Democratic senator in a conservative, Republican state. Although, she has voted in a way that I would not have wanted more times than I like, the one vote that I'm most distressed about is her vote against the anti-torture bill. It seemed to me that she could have voted for it without taking too much heat. Most people who were against the bill already didn't like her as their senator.

I may write the senator a letter thanking her for holding the meeting and complimenting her on the manner in which she conducted herself. Mary is likely as good as we will get here in Louisiana. We could do a lot worse.

UPDATE: Another photo showing the mix of ages in the crowd.


16 comments:

  1. She does sound like she did a good job.

    I find it frightening how brainwashed people seem to be. Of course, they probably think the same of me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is always good to write when you like something a senator does --- especially if you plan to write about something you don't agree with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the sequel. I know this was a painful experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I felt like the Ancient Mariner, having to tell my tale. But I won't tell it over and over. I promise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Again, splendid reporting.

    I agree with you about tort reform; perhaps necessary, but no substitute for health insurance reform.

    Thank you for all the pain and labor these posts required. They were very illuminating.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some of the other senators and representatives did not fare so well at their meetings!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. One day, I will be found dead, and the cause of death should read (but won't), "Death by torture due to excessive exposure to non sequitur

    Mimi, that's too good a line to be buried in a post. It deserves a post of its own.

    Putting on my libertarian hat here:
    the man with the copy of the Constitution was perfectly right. The original idea was that if the Constitution didn't say Congress could do it, Congress couldn't do it, no matter how important and noble and good it seemed to be. You'd just have to find another way of doing it. The Constitution started off with a government of limited powers: government was not supposed to do very much.
    Of course, that approach has its problems. The most serious instance in which that approach failed was slavery: at least in part because of it, we needed all the violence of the Civil War to eliminate slavery, and even then it didn't get completely done.

    That changed in the first half othe 20th century. Now thanks to modern Constitutional theory, Congress can do practically anything it wants to do under the guise of the commerce clause.

    But what might be called the principled conservative position is that that approach despite its problems should not have been abandoned: that a government that can do anything it wants is not a government dedicated to protecting life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, not a government of, by and for the people. Sadly, out of all the people there, probably only one or two actually understand that idea, instead of just acting on cues provided by Fox News.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Counterlight, thank you. Writing the two posts was cathartic.

    Ciss, I know. I was quite concerned beforehand, and was pleased that the meeting itself went as well as it did.

    Kishnevi, that's a high compliment from you. I've certainly been exposed to enough non sequitur responses to kill me. Few people have a grasp on making anything resembling a logical argument. That's a fading art.

    Thanks for the lesson in the Constitution. So that's where libertarians come from. Now the only check is the Supreme Court, and, of course, a presidential veto when Congress cannot muster a 2/3 majority to override.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Preamble to the Constitution, that part that everyone skips over as but introductory remarks, is arguably the most important part since it lays out the whole purpose of the document. The vision it presents of the new government of the USA is not quite that of a passive referee between competing private interests:

    "We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America."

    I note the phrases "establish Justice" and "promote the general Welfare." It seems to me that accomplishing those tasks requires legislation and policy, something like health insurance reform, for example.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Counterlight, the constitutional question certainly seemed silly at this point in time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mary is likely as good as we will get here in Louisiana. We could do a lot worse.

    Yeah, you could have John Thune, the GOP senator in SD, who started his town hall meeting by saying that it was better to have no reform than the proposed reform, so he opposed the president's bill. He went on and on about how the private sector should solve the problem. He forgets that approximately 1/3 of the insured in SD already has government provided health care when you take into consideration all of the elderly who live here as well as the military, both active duty and retired, and the indigenous population.

    BTW, Thune probably will run for president if not in 2012, then later. He is a dangerous man. This is but a preview.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Let's see: "zero sum game" (they're taking my tax money), which of course doesn't recognize that ER is not "free" (it's either a public hospital (Tax money!) or subsidized by people with health insurance).

    Check.

    Ignorance of which bill is before Congress: check.

    Not sure I agree with you that we are a "litigious" society. Having worked insurance defense for many years, I can say I saw few truly "frivolous" (i.e, without foundation) claims. And the worst was a husband who sued his wife's therapist because after seeing him for awhile, she filed for divorce. But that was so unusual I remember it. It was hardly the norm.

    Anyway....

    I did a little digging on the town hall meeting Olbermann featured last night. Interesting results, interesting meeting. I get the feeling yours wasn't exactly overrun with "deathers," though it must have seemed that way.

    And I'm guessing most of the people there were retired, or otherwise didn't have to report to work that day. Skews the sampling of democracy, methinks. Also indicates change is going to come when enough young people finally fulfill the promise of the Obama campaign and stay involved in government, and when enough of the cranky elderly well...are gone.

    Or maybe not.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Laurelew, yes we could have John Thune, or Jim Demint, or a string of others I could name, including our very own David Vitter. Mary could have a tough time of it if she runs again, because she's lost some of her base in New Orleans, those who left for Katrina and never came back.

    Rmj, Mary stressed over and over that the ER was not free. Someone was paying. She also stressed that there are no death panels in any of the bills. I didn't hear much about death panels during my wait outside.

    You were in the trenches with litigation, so you know better than I what goes on there. Why is the price of malpractice insurance so high?

    Although there were a goodly number of cranky elders, (I was in their number, as a righteous, cranky elder) there was more of a mix in age groups than I expected.

    I'm adding another photo to the post that shows the different age groups in the crowd.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You were in the trenches with litigation, so you know better than I what goes on there. Why is the price of malpractice insurance so high?

    I blame the doctors. Seriously. Without doctors willing to testify against other doctors, you can't take a malpractice case to court, because you virtually can't prove malpractice.

    My mother, early in the '60's, nearly lost an arm to a misdiagnosis. She couldn't sue, however, because no doctor would testify against another, at that time.

    So, the number of suits has gone up in recent decades, consequently raising the cost of ins. (kind of like an area getting hit by many hurricanes in a short period of time). Now, there are two reasons for suits: lots of doctors, and lots of doctors with money. No point suing a poor man. And insurance premiums are high for the same reason they're high for everything else: ins. cos. want to make money, not pay it. Oh, and lawyers are very expensive these days, too. Especially the ones working for insurance companies.

    I know; I used to work for those lawyers.

    ReplyDelete
  15. "I came away with the sense that a great mass of the citizenry of the US have no care or concern for the common good."

    I have been convinced of this for a long time now and I think this state of affairs is truly tragic.

    What a story you have to tell here.

    Mercy. Mercy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such excitement in the sleepy little town of Reserve, Louisiana.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.