Wednesday, September 23, 2009

" THE INDWELLING PRESENCE" - Richard Rohr

The word “prayer” has often been trivialized by making it into a way of getting what you want. But here I use “prayer” as the umbrella word for any interior journeys or practices that allow you to experience faith, hope, and love within yourself. It is not a technique for getting things, a pious exercise that somehow makes God happy, or a requirement for entry into heaven. It is much more like practicing heaven now.

From The Naked Now: Learning to See as the Mystics See (p.22-23)

Daily Meditations

5 comments:

  1. I have really got to get it together and write about his great talk the other night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fran, you do. I'm waiting. No rush, of course. I know that you're busy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Busy? I am just sick with something now. I had it over the weekend and then it seemed to go. However, yesterday when I was attending Juliette's (mother of the priest i work for) funeral it began to come back and now I am congested worse than ever.

    Juliette's funeral was gorgeous - all very French too. I thought of you when her grandchildren kept speaking of Meme!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I once heard prayer described as a conversation with God in which God does all the talking and we do all the listening.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fran, I'm sorry you are sick. Prayers for healing for you, luv.

    Kishnevi, that makes sense. If we are silent before God, we are surely more likely to hear God. I like Rohr's, "It is...like practicing heaven now."

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.