Tuesday, September 15, 2009

On A Blogging Learning Curve

Those in positions of authority, especially, should not be surprised when they are subject to scrutiny and discussion, at times with words of praise and at other times with words of criticism. I've voiced approval of the words and actions of a good many public figures, and probably viewed a greater number with a critical eye and written disapproving words. What I try to do on my blog is to let those I write about speak for themselves by their words or by their actions, and then I write opinionated commentary.

On many occasions, I've called out politicians and leaders in the church, more often than members of other groups, for what they've done and what they've left undone, because I'm interested and involved in church and politics, and, I should add, church politics. I try not to get personal or judge motivations. I can't say that I've always succeeded, but that remains my intention and my goal. Sometimes I mock, many times I employ irony, and sometimes sarcasm. In truth, when I discover that I can use a person's own words against them, especially to expose hypocrisy, I take delight in that. Is that wrong?

So. Having said all that, recently I discovered that it is easier to type words on the screen about a person than it is to say those same words face to face. Oddly enough, of all those in authority that I have called out on my blog, only two have shown up with responses in my comments, and both were bishops, one in the Church in Wales and the other in the Episcopal Church. There may be others, but I can't think of any at the moment.

The first was a post on a statement by Bishop Gregory Cameron of the Welsh Diocese of St. Asaph. I wrote the post during the meeting of the Anglican Consultative Council in Kingston, Jamaica, in May of this year. Someone who claimed to be Bishop Cameron appeared in my comment section. I'm not 100% sure that this person was, in fact, Bishop Cameron, but after several comments from him, I came to think that he was who he said he was. I know that at the times he left comments, I was getting visits from someone in Jamaica.

Then recently, I posted on Bishop Michael Smith of the Episcopal Diocese of North Dakota, because he announced on his diocesan website that he was a candidate for the position of bishop in the Diocese of Louisiana. Bishop Smith responded in the comments, and this time I was sure that the person who commented was Bishop Smith, because he was in Louisiana, and he invited me to attend the sessions for the diocesan School for Ministry which he was leading at Christ Church Cathedral in New Orleans.

Despite bad weather, I made my way to New Orleans, because I wanted to meet the man who could be my next bishop and hear what he had to say. While I was at the Cathedral, I repeated most of what I said in my post, and it was not as easy to repeat the words in my blog post while I was looking Bishop Smith in the eye...

...which led me to think that before I post criticism of another person, I might do well to make a habit of asking myself if I would say the same words while looking that person in the eye.

19 comments:

  1. A good thing for us all to keep in mind.

    OT - Mimi, I just read on Mark Friesland's blog that his partner Nikolai was killed in an accident Sunday evening. I am devastated and at work so I cannot rev up the prayer chain. Might you? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paul, of course, I'll do it. Lord, have mercy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paul, would you like me to link to further information on the tragedy, or just go with what you gave me?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The problem with personable candidates for bishop about whom it is hard to articulate (while they are in the room) what bothers you about them, is that they may end up being voted for in order to avoid getting stuck with the personable candidate that you know would be a disaster. Then you get stuck with the guy who had been in second place in the voting, and only after consecration do you find out what you should have articulated in the beginning if you had taken the time to sort it all out.

    Been there, done that, have the t-shirt. And it's not cheap to get out of.

    So post away. If candidates have problems with it they can post responses just like the rest of us mortals.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Follow your instincts. This is the link to Mark's post.

    I copied his post into my blog from work (violating the no blogging from work rule, but I had to). I just don't have access to e-mail links.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Paul (A.), I believe that attending the session was a much more profitable way to get to know Bp. Smith a little than a brief talk at a walk-about as this reader suggested in the comments to my original post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a slight acquaintance with the venerable evangelical Anglican leader John Stott, author of many books over the years. I discovered by accident that it was his habit, before he criticised someone in print, to first of all make direct contact with them and discuss the issue he had with them on a one-to-one basis.

    I realise that this is not always possible, but I still think very highly of John for this. There have been many times when I wish I had followed his example.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tim, I'm sure that many of the people I write about would not take my calls. Bishop Smith may have.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ...which is why I said, "I realise that this is not always possible".

    ReplyDelete
  10. The danger is known as triangulation. For example, a parishioner complains to another parishioner (or, in a large parish, to a priest or deacon on the staff) about the rector. Better to talk to the rector.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ormonde, I agree. Better to talk to the rector. At one point, I was advised by another parishioner that if I ever had a problem with the rector (not my present rector!), I should talk to the rector's wife! I thought that was a terrible idea.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Mimi,

    Once upon a time, although not a fairytale, I had trouble ¨looking them in the eye¨ and saying what needed to be said...then I abandoned that fear and became free (now timing is another thing).

    Love to you and yours and thanks for looking Bishop Smith in the eye because I think he´s got his eye on a job that was way out of his personal character league.

    Leonardo Ricardo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Leo, I'm pondering right now whether I could look you in the eye and say, "Love back to you!" and I believe that I could, so consider it said.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bishops should resist reading blogs and commenting on them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ormonde, I think bishops should read blogs if they want to be informed, but they should probably resist the urge to comment. Had Bp. Smith not commented, I would have done one post on him instead of three, and I'd never have attended the School of Ministry session.

    However, from my vantage point, I'm glad that he commented.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What is interesting about all this is the care we need to exercise when it comes to the internet. First, we don't know who is reading, who is writing, or the knowledge that they bring. All of this should lead us to take care to be charitable. I answered your blogs as much because they seemed to score points in an uncharitable way, and I felt I had to take issue ... I'd be glad if we all started writing as if we were speaking face to face.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'd be glad if we all started writing as if we were speaking face to face.

    Bishop Cameron, in the future, I shall try to do just that. I probably won't always succeed, but that will be my goal.

    In the original post in which I quoted your words, I simply asked you a question, which you never really answered: What would you do if a parish in your diocese attempted to leave the diocese and continued to occupy the buildings? I don't see how that was scoring points in an uncharitable way, but maybe I'm missing something.

    Again, I thank you for your willingness to engage.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.