Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Bravo, Rep. Anh Cao et al.!

Five Republican representatives – Chris Smith, Frank Wolf, Joe Pitts, Trent Franks and Anh "Joseph" Cao – have written a letter to Ugandan President Yoweri Mouseveni pressing him to stop pending legislation that would severely criminalize homosexuality and sometimes impose the death penalty for homosexual acts.

In the letter, which you can read in full here, the men say their religious faith requires them to oppose the legislation because it contradicts the "foundational Christian belief in the inherent dignity and worth of all men and women."


It's true that the representatives also cite the principles of the Manhattan Declaration as part of the basis for their letter of protest against the draconian Ugandan legislation, but nevertheless, in this instance, they came to the right conclusion. More and more I admire Rep. Cao (R-LA). When he says he follows his conscience, I believe him. Remember he was the lone Republican to stand against his party and vote for health care reform. I pray his conscience continues to lead him in the direction of justice.

From CBSNews.

Thanks to Lapin for the link.

8 comments:

  1. Good man. Three cheers for Anh Cao! And the others who joined him for this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just the kind of thing that may actually mean something to Ugandian leaders. I am sure they tossed my letter in the trash, another American Imperialist Lesbian. But, they may take these guys seriously.

    I am glad you have a representative with integrity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rep. Cao's conscience and my conscience don't always agree, but I wonder if the majority of the other Congress critters have consciences that are functional at all. Cao may lose his in the noxious atmosphere of DC.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One man or woman can change the world - this is proof!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mimi,

    Did you see this?

    It's funny and sad and just crazy. I hope the Waycross mentioned isn't Waycross, GA.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mark, I saw the video. There seems to be disagreement as to whether the caller was playing a joke. That's why I didn't blog it. I guess I could have posted and asked, "Do you think this is real?" I think it's a hoax. Someone in the comments said they'd heard the Waycross caller many times.

    I hate to ask, but is there another Waycross?

    ReplyDelete
  7. From one commenter:

    This is a brilliant prank by a very good actor.

    The tells are there, though. It's too well put together, there's the unlikely "tea bag", and the overwhelming emotion on "die" is positively Shatneresque.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hopefully, these people are right. The computer is slow at work, so I relied on the transcript, and didn't hear the actual intonation.

    There's a Waycross, Indiana, but, as that's an Episcopal camp/conference center, one expects that is not the Waycross the caller was talking about.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.