Monday, February 22, 2010

A LENTEN DISCIPLINE NEVER MENTIONED

Thus far, the only Lenten discipline that I've mentioned is to attend Evening Prayer, Lenten meditation, and silent reflection on Thursday evenings at my church. I'd made another resolution which I neglected to mention because I forgot. Hmm - why did I forget? The other resolution was to get to church on time, but perhaps I forgot to mention it because deep in my unconscious I knew that was a resolution I was not likely to keep. Yesterday morning, by the time I was dressed and presentable to leave the house, I was late for church. I've been late for several Sundays running, and I was too embarrassed to walk in late again. I told Tom, "I'm not going to church." He was shocked.

I thought for a while and decided that I did not want to miss church on the 1st Sunday of Lent. I went online to look for a church that had an 11:00 AM service. The United Methodist Church offered what I wanted, and I headed for the church. I'd attended one or two organ concerts at the church, but I'd never been to a Methodist service in my whole life, and here was my opportunity to pay a visit. The congregation was the friendliest and most welcoming that I've ever encountered. I was honest about my reason for being there and confessed my habitual sin of tardiness to all. Confessed, and confessed, and confessed. I pray I'm forgiven.

If any of the members of my community at St. John read this post, they will say, "You should have come, late or not!" And I know that they'd mean the words, but I was just too embarrassed, especially after resolving to do better beginning with the 1st Sunday of Lent.

At the Methodist service, we sang some of the old country hymns, which I love like "the Old Rugged Cross", "Blessed Assurance", and "Come Thou Fount". The pastor, the Rev. Donnie Wilkinson, gave a lovely sermon on Matthew 21:1-2, 7-10 and Luke 19:41-45. He made Jesus' journey to Jerusalem come alive, as he described the terrain and the view of the city from Mt. Olivet. It was a good thing for me to pay a visit to the Methodist Church.

To be entirely honest, I must confess that while the service at the Methodist church was lovely, I missed the liturgy of the Eucharist. I thank God often for my church with its frequent Eucharistic celebrations. The Body of Christ and the Blood of Christ are vital to my spiritual life.

What began as a day of failure, at least as I saw it, turned out, in the end, to be not a failure at all, but an opportunity to share worship with fellow Christians in another denomination in my community for which I am thankful.

Romans 8:28

We know that all things work together for good for those who love God, who are called according to his purpose.

11 comments:

  1. As one who is frequently late to EVERYTHING, I can empathize, Mimi.

    It's even worse when you are the rector's wife... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doxy, you are not alone The wife of the rector at the time I began attending St. John was sometimes late for services. The rector shrugged his shoulders with a smile on his face, the proper response, IMO.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you went to church. I'm glad you missed the Eucharist. I'm glad you prayed with our Sisters and Brothers--kissing cousins in Christ. And with you present --I'll bet their church lit up!

    Blessing Grandmere. And, yes, it's never too late to arrive. Young man showed up at the final hymn on Ash Wednesday. I pulled him up and ashed him and fed him.... I mean, he had shown up! What's that line --even those at the eleventh hour.... something about the same pay and all that... !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Margaret, I know it was my own pride and embarrassment that kept me from my church, and I would have been welcome whenever I arrived. Yes, the eleventh hour....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm always late to church. I got there at 11am on Sunday. The vicar was already giving the sermon. I was embarrassed.

    I figure God doesn't mind so much, though. At least, I hope He doesn't.

    I went briefly to another church near me where at one point the vicar actually gave a sermon on people being late to church. But he was Forward in Faith (I realised shortly afterwards), so he would do that sort of thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry, should have said 11am is half an hour late.

    Mimi, this is nowt to do with your Lenten reflections, but could I please post a prayer request here? ... I have an interview tomorrow first thing for a six-month contract where I work (I am currently freelance). I wouldn't mind people's prayers for it, is the thing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cathy, of course. I posted a request for prayers for your interview.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Next Sunday if I'm late for church, I'll walk in late. I may be on time. It could happen.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I may be on time next Sunday too, Mimi.

    Ya never know!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The rector shrugged his shoulders with a smile on his face, the proper response, IMO.

    Dear Friend says that he is just happy to see me there. :-)

    Since he feels driven to arrive at LEAST an hour before the earliest service, we go separately---which is probably the secret to a happy marriage between someone who is chronically early and someone else who is chronically late. ;-)

    Cheers,
    Doxy

    P.S. Catherine--as a freelancer myself, my prayers are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I joke that my patron saint is Our Lady of Perpetual Lateness. As a choir member, it does work out for the best if I can get there in time to get in my vestments before the processional. When that is not achieved, I have been known to slip into the choir loft through the sacristy. The reason I go, late or not, is the Eucharist. It is so central to my life that I feel empty if I can't make it to the service.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.