Sunday, February 28, 2010

ON TIME!

 


Today I got me to the church on time. Yay! I was even a few minutes early, which is so much better than rushing in late all flustered and never really settling down until well into the service. When I'm late, I miss the wonderful preludes by our talented organist. Today La Donna played Bach. I intended to name the prelude, but I forgot my bulletin in church. We sang one of my favorite communion hymns by William Bright, "And now, O Father, mindful of the love...." I tend to tear up when I sing the hymn. We sang a couple of other hymns that I really like, too, but they've slipped my mind and no bulletin to refresh my memory.

Above you see St. John's altar dressed for Lent. The altar frontal is simple, but lovely - or at least I think so. Perhaps for the rest of Lent and even after, I will be able to time my arrival early. When I do, no question but that I choose the better part.

I remember Jesus' plaintive cry from the today's Gospel:

"Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the city that kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to it! How often have I desired to gather your children together as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, and you were not willing! See, your house is left to you. And I tell you, you will not see me until the time comes when you say, ‘Blessed is the one who comes in the name of the Lord.’”
(Luke 13: 34-35)

11 comments:

  1. YAAAAeeeeee!!!!
    Blessings Grandmere! What fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Mimi.

    You have now shamed me into at least trying to follow your example.

    Sounds like a lovely service.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cathy, before you follow me as an example, wait till next week to see if I begin to establish a pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a gorgeous altar. But I luvs purple stuff anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The easiest answer to timeliness is to have a spouse like mine (the verger) who insists on being everwhere at least fifteen minutes early.She even makes me 'phone restaurants if we're more than five minutes late for the reservation.I've never missed the processional hymn in 31 years!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A wonderful hymn, as you say. I never heard it sung to the tune of William Henry Monk's Unde et Memores in the UK, where it is usually, in my experience, sung to Orlando Gibbons' blandly named, but beautiful Song 1, here paired with the words of Eternal Ruler of the Ceaseless Round ('scuse the florid Cyberhymnal setting, but Oremus Hymnal manages, once more, to screw up a tune). Two very different settings, both excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Mimi, how wonderful. One of the problem I have with singing in the choir is that I can't concentrate on the prelude. The choir members talk until the opening hymn starts. That drives me up the wall. I like some peace and quiet (and music) to settle myself before the service. Seems like you experience that yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kirke, thanks. Our little church is so simple, but so beautiful. At least, I think it is.

    John D, (the verger, indeed!) I have a spouse like yours , but it's still an uphill battle for Tom and for me to get us anywhere on time. I'll say this: on the three or four Sundays or holidays when he goes to church with me, we arrive on time.

    I wrote the above comments last night, but they didn't take.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lapin, we always sing the hymn to Unde et Memores, and it usually makes me cry.

    Amelia, it's lovely to sit quietly and listen to our organist's prelude and get into the spirit of worship.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.