Saturday, February 27, 2010

"THE RED RYDING TRILOGY"

 


In the February 15 issue of The New Yorker", which I'm just now getting around to reading, is a review of a movie called "The Red Ryding Trilogy". Generally, I like the way the Brits do mysteries, but the "sensationally violent" puts me off. I avoid violent movies because I spend much of the time looking down and shielding my eyes not quite fast enough to avoid the bloody scenes.

“This is the North—we do what we want.” These defiantly jocular words are spoken by a policeman as he throws a young reporter out the back of a van. The scene takes place in “Red Riding: 1974,” the first in a series of films, “The Red Riding Trilogy,” made last year for British television’s Channel 4, and now released in theatres as a mammoth, sensationally violent and beautiful five-hour movie. (The trilogy is also available on cable, as a video on demand under the rubric “IFC in Theaters.”) The North in the policeman’s boast is West Yorkshire—the city of Leeds, mostly, but also featureless pale-green moors and, among them, small, rubbly towns with dead-looking brown houses.

Hey! I've been to the scary places, Leeds, and the pale-green moors, although I didn't see a lot of green, pale or not, when I was in the Yorkshire Moors in March.

The books on which the movies are based are fictionalized accounts of the North of England's most recent and horrific serial crimes, such as the "'Moors murders,' of five children, between July, 1963, and October, 1965; the murder of thirteen women by Peter William Sutcliffe, known as the Yorkshire Ripper, between 1975 and 1980; 80; and a miscarriage of justice that saw Stefan Kiszko, a twenty-six-year-old tax clerk from Rochdale, serve sixteen years for a 1975 murder that he did not commit."

Forgoing digital effects, or any presence of the supernatural, “The Red Riding Trilogy” nevertheless achieves a terrific sense of the uncanny, an atmosphere so spooked and suggestive that it becomes oddly attractive, like an enchanted forest in a children’s story. Flowers of evil are growing in the stony Yorkshire soil.

Who knew? The only place in Yorkshire in which I experienced the uncanny was in my visit to Rievaulx Abbey, which was, for me, one of the thin places, where I felt the presence of the holy, a place where the prayers of many seemed to linger in the the Abbey.

But wait! The Los Angeles Times says:

The powerfully disturbing "Red Riding" trilogy will haunt you waking and sleeping, night and day. If you survive the watching of it, that is, which is no easy thing.
....

Rather, the hard paradox of this project is that what makes these merciless films at times almost unbearable to watch also makes them frankly impossible to get out of your mind. Not only do they create a gritty, compelling world thick with the fetid air of venality, corruption and desperation, but they also periodically traffic in ghastly and horrific torture, sometimes shown, sometimes merely described, but always circling back to a series of sadistic, soul-destroying murders of women and little girls.

Although I'm intrigued by the reviews of the film, scenes of torture, or even descriptions of torture, would probably be a deal-breaker for me.

Have any of you from across the pond seen the series? Or anyone from the US, since the film is showing now at theaters?

17 comments:

  1. That's my home turf. The town in which I was raised is now under the administrative umbrella of Rochdale.

    Will very much look forward to seeing this.

    Green is not a dominant colour on the moors, which I love, any time of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lapin, I loved the moors. I felt quite at home, although the area is nothing like any place I've ever lived, or even any place I've visited before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. On checking, the film is already released on DVD in the UK. Have ordered a copy through eBay (have a DVD player set for "all regions"). Will report back. Am emailing a couple of scans of the moors above my home town.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not my sort of viewing including when it was shown.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like you I would need to close my eyes for much of it. Five hours?????
    Even good movies have me looking at my watch by 2 hours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw this and actually didn't think it was all it was cracked up to be. The thing that really annoyed me is the way the police were shown being repeatedly horrifically violent to the journalist. My fellow Brit journo mates who have been knocking around long enough to have been working in the 70s agreed that this would never have happened in this way, because journalists have an obvious recourse to prevent it happening - by writing about it in the paper!! Journalists in other countries do suffer violence, but they're usually just killed - they're not repeatedly threatened by heavies who make no attempt to hide their faces. Silly touches like this spoiled it for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cathy, it's good to hear your opinion. The series would have to be excellent, indeed, for me to subject myself to watching if I would be looking away a good bit of the time.

    And yet...I remember the movie "Seven" with Morgan Freeman and Brad Pitt. I deliberately did not see the movie in the theaters after reading about the violence, however Tom and I went on a cruise soon after, and the movie was on the rounds on the cabin TV when we were too far from land to pick up cable.

    I watched the middle of the movie before we had to leave the cabin to go off somewhere. At another time, I watched the horrifying end of the movie, and eventually saw the beginning. When we reached home, I rented the movie to see the whole of it in proper sequence. "Seven" was quite difficult to watch, but in the end, I'd rather have watched than not, because it was so well produced and directed, and the two main actors, and even the supporting actors, were excellent in their roles.

    And I do like noirish films with dark atmosphereric effects, just so they're not too violent. Another example - I would not have wanted to miss "Psycho", although for months afterwards, I was fearful every time I took a shower when I was home alone.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't believe it! How is the Chinese spam getting through word verification?

    ReplyDelete
  9. No matter how well made a film is, if it's really violent I just won't watch it.

    I don't know about the Chinese spam. I got a few recently.

    ReplyDelete
  10. There was one English word in the midst of the Chinese spam - "SEX".

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cathy, indeed the journalist getting beat up over and over would be quite unrealistic, since he could, of course, have written about what happened.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mimi, I loved Se7en when it was first released - I thought it was brilliant - horrible, and a huge kick in the gut, but really fabulously well made. But I haven't seen it recently and I'm getting less inclined to watch violent films as I get older.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The film I really couldn't watch was The Silence of the Lambs. I was terrified for days after that. Not rationally, but these things aren't rational.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I got the Chinese guy too!

    I agree that there is a portrayal of recent history which in the North would be called "gritty". Cathy is right. That isn't to say that it is gratuitous - I'd say more exaggerated for dramatic effect. It isn't a documentary so much as a docu-drama although there is real footage from the time.

    The plot lines are based on fact so are credible and the episodes show a real part of the region's recent social history.

    I was a student in Leeds during the miner's strike and the Yorkshire Ripper era. I do remember how the city changed from day to night from laid back to fearful - for women anyway.

    Does any of that make it a more palatable watch? I don't know but you aren't dealing with the fabrication of a "I know what you did last Summer" gore-fest.

    ReplyDelete
  15. DP. I take into consideration whether the violence is gratuitous and the quality of the film, before I make a definite decision on whether or not to watch.

    Thanks for your comment. Yours and Cathy's are especially helpful. In the end, the decision is mine. The movie will not show around here, so I will be watching the series through a rental when it is available and not in 5 consecutive hours in a theater.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wikipedia says that Columbia has acquired the rights to remake this and was negotiating with Ridley Scott to direct.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.