Tuesday, March 16, 2010

ANTI-GAY MARRIAGE AMENDMENT DIES IN PENNSYLVANIA

According to Tim Kincaid at Box Turtle Bulletin, an anti-gay marriage amendment to the Pennsylvania constitution submitted by state Senator John H. Eichelberger, Jr. died in the Judiciary Committee.

Tim says:

But there was no debate whatsoever on the bill, so we can only speculate about possible motivations. It may well be that these Senators have come to know and love gay people in their lives. They may have found a new respect for equality.

I hope so.

8 comments:

  1. I didn't think any politician voted according to what they have "come to know and love". Politics is a much dirtier game than that. But it's a nice thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cathy, on the other hand, Box Turtle links to a post by The Pennsylvania Progressive who says:

    I spend a fair amount of time in Harrisburg. I know who is closeted. Any closeted Senator who votes for Eichelberger's bill will be outed. I also know a State Senator who is wildly homophobic and is also an alcoholic. One of her rants will also be made public depending on her vote. This is fair warning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, craven responses to out-and-out threats, as it were, is much closer to the modus operandi of the average politician, at least, as I see it. This surprises me a lot less, I'm afraid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Um, I'm not saying that if I were a politician I'd do any better. I thought I should add that. It's a poisonous job and not generally good for the soul, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A politician may enter office with integrity, but it would be quite difficult to stay honest.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe they just came to know and . . . know Bob Duncan?

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.