Thursday, March 25, 2010

A CAUTIONARY WORD....

From the comments to the post at Thinking Anglicans on Michael Poon's paper titled "The Anglican Communion as Communion of Churches: on the historic significance of the Anglican Covenant", comes a cautionary word from a member of the Roman Catholic Church:

Speaking as a very progressive Vatican II Catholic, the last thing Anglicans need is central authority and a magesterium. The Reformation was a good thing and millions of us are praying for a second Reformation in the Latin Rite Churches. The Bishop of Rome would be a nice unifying symbol but should have no more authority than any other bishop and he should be elected by lay people and clergy. The present system is in a state of decay and it is on the verge of imploding. Anglicans have a better system, especially Anglicans such as those in the American Episcopal Church. The minute fundamentalists try to force their views down the throats of their fellow Christians, is the minute the people of God need to stand up and say enough! May the structure of Anglican autonomy continue and show the rest of the Catholic and Orthodox world that this way is preferable and more in keeping with the early Church.

Posted by: Chris Smith on Wednesday, 24 March 2010 at 9:55pm GMT

Well-spoken, Chris Smith. Thank you.

Why is it that so many within the Anglican Communion cannot see the treasure that is the Anglican way? The creeds, common worship, and the bonds of affection are sufficient. If the bonds of affection are not present, the Covenant cannot force their presence. The Archbishop of Canterbury should be, as Chris says, "a nice unifying symbol but should have no more authority than any other bishop". And rather than a Covenant, we might consider Chris' other suggestion, "he should be elected by lay people and clergy".

Thanks to Lapin for drawing the comment to my attention.

9 comments:

  1. "The Vatican on Thursday strongly defended its decision not to defrock an American priest accused of molesting some 200 deaf boys in Wisconsin and denounced what it called a campaign to smear Pope Benedict XVI and his aides."

    ReplyDelete
  2. The more I think about the ABC, who is appointed by Her Majesty the Queen, trying to yoke the Episcopal Church into some sort of central authoritarian structure, with himself at the head, the angrier I get. Time to stop thinking about the matter.

    Who, of sound mind, would want to use Rome as their model at the present time?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrew Brown's Guardian piece Where was the real cover up? is worth checking, as is Ruth Gledhill's post on the NYT's child abuse revelations. The comments on Ruth G's site are worthwhile and/or revealing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sent a link to the Andrew Brown piece to Mimi, but she NEVER posts anything interesting that I send to her, whereas she ALWAYS posts Lapin's.

    IT'S. NOT. FAIR.

    (lies face down on floor wailing and kicking theatrically)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kicking is easiest and most effective lying on one's back, drumming the heels, Cathy. Save the face-down position for rug-grazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cathy, you did, indeed, send me the link days ago. Andrew Brown's column is quite good. In truth, I'm losing enthusiasm for posting about about child abuse in the RCC. Perhaps, I've reached catharsis, for the moment. I probably still have one post in me outlining the worst of my personal grievances with the RCC, which may come in due time.

    Yesterday, I had so many good tips that I felt like an overworked reporter, meeting myself coming and going. I'm only one person. I can't do it all. Boo hoo!

    Yes, I want you to continue to send good links to me, because I depend upon your help to keep the blog going. Sometimes I get overwhelmed, as I did yesterday, and reach a state of exhaustion. Keep the cards and letters coming (preferably with cash included), but I may not get to post on all of the links.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry, I sent you the link to Chris Smith's excellent defense and praise of traditional, decentralized Anglicanism and promptly sandbagged it by introducing the subject of Roman pedophilia.

    Back to Mr Smith, whose statement is excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aha, I've always said tantrums get you everywhere!!

    Thanks for the good advice tho Lapin - maybe rolling over and over beating my fists against the floor would be more constructive, for future reference.

    Mimi, I wasn't really being serious, I don't expect you to post anything necessarily, I only send you stuff because I think it will interest you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. When in trouble,
    When in doubt,
    Run in circles,
    Scream and shout."

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.