Monday, March 8, 2010

INTERNATIONAL WOMEN'S DAY

 


 


 


 



 


 

Nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission. ELEANOR ROOSEVELT

To those who can dream there is no such place as faraway. ANON

"The history of all times, and of today especially, teaches that ... women will be forgotten if they forget to think about themselves." LOUISE OTTO

Hold fast to dreams for if dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly. LANGSTON HUGHES

"A free race cannot be born of slave mothers." MARGARET SANGER

"It takes a lot of courage to show your dreams to someone else." ERMA BOMBECK

"So much has been said and sung of beautiful young girls, why don't somebody wake up to the beauty of old women?" HARRIET BEECHER STOWE



Prayer from The Sisters of Mercy.

Let us go forth then, O Living and Loving God,

Let us go forth in the power of Your Presence deep in our hearts, and the power of your presence overflowing in our communities,

Let us go forth confirmed and strengthened in our vision

Let us go forth named in Hope and Love, and sustained in these challenging times.

Let us go forth as valiant women of justice and peace. Amen.



Thanks to Doug for the images.

Quotes from Altius Directory. The history of International Women's Day may be found here.

Note: The Sisters of Mercy were my high school teachers. My teacher in my senior year, Sr. Mary Regius, inspired me by her teaching and encouragement to do good work, especially in writing. Since I started my blog, I've used her lessons more than I ever have before in my life.

17 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Second try.

    I think this is a good thing for recognizing and encouraging women, but here in Berkeley, it has been a school holiday for years. The problem is that it is not a national holiday and so working mothers have to find child care so they can keep working and the child gets another day out of school. Of course the women teachers get the day off, but it seems to me to cause inequity in the ranks, if you know what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan, too true. Women are not where we should be yet in so many more ways than declaring a national or international holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Inequity in the ranks" doesn't even begin to approach the problem. The status of women around the world is all about "inequity in the ranks". We women have to lead the way to change that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We women have to lead the way to change that.

    Yes indeedy! Ain't nobody gonna do it for us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the Eleanor R quote! I needed to hear that today.
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gloriousthings, thank YOU. I need to hear that my post has meaning for another.

    ReplyDelete
  8. For whatever reason my computer refuses to load the pictures. I just get a "?". I've tried re-loading and all your pictures in older posts are just fine.

    Yes, it is up to us.

    wv=damath. I really like da math.

    ReplyDelete
  9. No pix for me either :(
    Just wrote this up for Episcopal Cafe´ too

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'll see what I can do to get the pictures back.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The pictures are back for me. What about you?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, and they really make the story. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pix there now-- and motheramelia is right - they add so much.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The pictures make the post. The pics were there when I first posted, and then they disappeared.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Two more quotes:

    You cannot take anything personally. You cannot bear grudges. You must finish the day's work when the day's work is done. You cannot get discouraged too easily. You have to take defeat over and over again and pick up and go on. Be sure of your facts. Argue the other side with a friend until you have found the answer to every point which might be brought up against you. Women who are willing to be leaders must stand out and be shot at. More and more they are going to do it, and more and more they should do it.
    Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936

    Because I am a woman, I must make unusual efforts to succeed. If I fail, no one will say, "She doesn't have what it takes." They will say, "Women don't have what it takes."
    Clare Boothe Luce

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like the Eleanor R quote too (both Mimi's and IT's), but it's hard not to warm to all of those quotes.

    I didn't in fact know it was International Women's Day. I've seen pretty much nowt in the media here about it at all. Which seems rather wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks, IT. Lovely quotes.

    Cathy, Doug reminded me of International Women's Day with the wonderful set of pictures. I spent the better part of the day on the post, because the pictures kept disappearing.

    I have my grandson here with a throat and ear infection. He doesn't seem to feel too bad, TBTG. I'll probably have him tomorrow, too.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.