Monday, March 22, 2010

NANCY IS A MENSCH!



The health care reform bill could be better, but it could be worse, too. And the bill could not have passed the House of Representatives at all. Congratulations, Nancy. Congratulations, Barack, for finally getting serious about health care reform. See. The presidency truly is a bully pulpit. Harry, I congratulate you for getting the 60 votes in the Senate to get us where we are now. I'll congratulate you again when we get a bill on the president's desk for him to sign.

After Republican Scott Brown was elected to the Senate in Massachusetts, the health care reform bill was in its death throes, but the grass roots would not let the bill die a peaceful death. In the face of the fury and ugliness of the teabagger types, the people in favor of health care for all demanded the resuscitation of the bill and the president and the Congress got going and brought it back to life. Then 40 brave senators took a stand for the public option. We may not get the public option in the bill now, but I hope we won't be finished with health care reform if and when this bill is passed and signed into law.

Yesterday was a good day.

Image stolen from Padre Mickey.

15 comments:

  1. Image stolen from Padre Mickey. Who nicked it from somewhere else but can't remember where.

    Operation "Try Not To Gloat" is not working.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Padre! I thought the poster was your original art work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. THRILLED with NANCY, I remain, disgusted with Republicans!

    Leonardo Ricardo

    (my parents would be stunned at the vile and crude leadership of the not-any-longer Grand Old Party)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Republicans showed their true colors yesterday. Regarding the teabaggers who threw the N-word to the African-American representatives and the F-word (no not that F-word) to the gay representative, if you don't disavow the name-calling, that signifies approval. As Fr Roy Bourgeois says, "Silence is the voice of complicity."

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's not my place to comment on the outcome of this historic vote. But I must say I am always very impressed with the way your houses of government conduct themselves during debates. In England, it has been many years since we have heard such sincere and well crafted rhetoric in our Parliament.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mp - Well, crafted by one person and repeated by all ad nauseum!

    I watched a lot of the live feed from cnn because that's what they had on line at a local station's website. Once again, the making of sausage comes to mind.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, and I did mean that first comma to be placed there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. All right! I'm up from the fainting couch. I was overcome for a spell by another visit from you, MadPriest. Why you were here just a few short days ago!

    I spent the afternoon and evening in the House of Representatives through the miracle of teevee, I and came away, once again, inspired to take a shower.

    I watched for a while on MSNBC, but the bloviating of the talking heads seemed worse than the sorry rhetoric of the reps, so I switched to C-SPAN for the undiluted speechifying of the politicians. One might say that I switched from mixed drinks to straight shots.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How's the hangover this morning, Mimi?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bad, Paul, but the cold is a bit better. Nothing like a restorative hot toddy or two or three for a cold.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My solution for a cold is gin in hot lemonade. However, you have to be in bed before you start to drink it or you may not make it.

    I appreciated the lack of talking heads on CSPAN. Got up too late this morning, but it was well worth staying up past my bedtime.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amelia, for us southerners, Bourbon whiskey is the spirit of choice. Add a dash of lemon juice and a bit of honey, and we're good to go.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I want a very large copy of the poster to hang on my wall.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cathy, and Nancy does it all in high heels!

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.