Sunday, March 21, 2010

SINGING THE COLD BLUES

Today I stayed home from church because I have a cold of the constant sneezing, runny nose and eyes variety. Best to stay home and not spread the germs around. Besides, I look a fright. That's the bad news.

The good news is that I haven't had a such a cold since last year when I was in England, and I spent the afternoon sneezing and wiping my nose and eyes with Doorman-Priest and his family. I didn't want to spread my germs at their house either, and I begged and pleaded with DP, on my knees even, for him to drive me back to my hotel, but he and his lovely wife would not hear of it. Anyway, to have gone a whole year without a cold is a good thing, yes?

In lieu of attending church, I prayed The Daily Office at the website of Mission St. Clare. The words from the Office which resonated with me are below.


PSALM 118:

The LORD is my strength and my song,
and he has become my salvation.



From SUFFRAGES B:

Save your people, Lord, and bless your inheritance;

Govern and uphold them, now and always.

Day by day we bless you;

We praise your name for ever.

Lord, keep us from all sin today;

Have mercy on us, Lord, have mercy.

Lord, show us your love and mercy;

For we put our trust in you.

In you, Lord, is our hope;

And we shall never hope in vain.



GENERAL THANKSGIVING:

Almighty God, Father of all mercies, we your unworthy servants give you humble thanks for all your goodness and loving-kindness to us and to all whom you have made. We bless you for our creation, preservation, and all the blessings of this life; but above all for your immeasurable love in the redemption of the world by our Lord Jesus Christ; for the means of grace, and for the hope of glory. And, we pray, give us such an awareness of your mercies, that with truly thankful hearts we may show forth your praise, not only with our lips, but in our lives, by giving up our selves to your service, and by walking before you in holiness and righteousness all our days; through Jesus Christ our Lord, to whom, with you and the Holy Spirit, be honor and glory throughout all ages. Amen.


And let us pray that the US House of Representives votes "Yes" on health care reform today.

19 comments:

  1. Dear Grandmère,

         I hope you get better soon. I'm just getting over mine from last week. Miserable thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prayers for quick recovery. I managed to go through the whole of last year without a cold for which I am very thankful. I usually get one in Spring which is your season now. never in winter - go figure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rick, thanks. Miserable, indeed. I carry my tissue box wherever I go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brian, spring is officially here. I was cold-free all winter. The weather here today is cold with a biting wind. I've been out only to pick up the newspaper.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Proving that newspapers are bad for one's health. So sorry to read this, Mimi. Do take care of yourself. Lots of rest and fluids. This comes with a cyberhug (at a save non-viral distance).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pablito, thank you. I'm doing lots of fluids and no heavy lifting. I just sneezed on my screen, and if you think viruses don't travel through the intertubes....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am sorry to hear that you have a cold today Mimi. May it pass quickly so you can feel better soon. I arrived at church late this morning. I arrived at the time the priest was beginning to to preach. I woke up at the time when the service was beginning. I did not want to miss church but I did not want to go to the 10:30 service. The early service does not have music, except for the offetory hymn. I am glad I went though. Sorry for the long post when you are not well. Hope you will not share the germs with your dear husband.
    Praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rudo, how sweet. You were late for church, and you thought of me. ;-) My dear husband already has the germs, so no worry there. Thanks for your prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope you get better soon too, Mimi. I didn't get to church today either. Thanks for the beautiful Daily Office.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Feel better fast, Mimi. Spring colds are miserable. Or, is it allergies?

    Word verification: isticale. Sounds like something you should take for that cold.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope you feel better soon. Joel is down and out with congestion, but we think his is allergies.

    blessings Grandmere. Many blessings on you and your house.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cathy, you're quite welcome. Thanks to all for the good wishes. Elizabeth and Margaret, our maladies could be from allergies, too. How would we know?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I took my sneezes and runny nose to church, but I think my problem is the dreaded Bradford Pear. Ours have no shame and are making love like crazy right out in public for all to see. They are beautiful but they deal my sinuses total woe.

    I hope you find relief from your virus, pollen or whatever ails you, and soon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Mimi, hope the sniffles go away quickly. Great news from last night, yes?. (Y}our prayers were answered. I would have preferred a single payer system, but I'm grateful for what was passed. Olympia Snow will not get my vote next time.

    wv=adistrol (another cold medicine?)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Get over that cold soon, cuz I understand that, now that HCR has passed, the Death Panel Vans are heading for the Rest Homes to round up all the granmas. Stay away from Rest Homes for a few days!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the blessings and good wishes. I'd best get better quickly, because I could be putting my life on the line by having a cold. (Pause)

    All right! I'm better! I'm better! But only marginally, I'm afraid and maybe not quickly enough to escape the death panel vans.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Grandmere Mimi, I do hope you are feeling better today. the most important healthcare at the moment is yours. Get well soon so that you can continue your wonderful blog ministry!

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.