Saturday, May 8, 2010

BISHOP "BUBBA" AKA MORRIS THOMPSON


From the Advocate:

NEW ORLEANS — The Diocese of Louisiana consecrates today its 11th bishop, a leader with an unexpected résumé for an Episcopalian.

The former U.S. Marine, known as “Bubba” during his Mississippi boyhood, spent years as a Presbyterian and a Southern Baptist before finding his spiritual home in the Episcopal Church.

“The church is where I connect with God, and it is where I can see clearly,” the Very Rev. Morris King Thompson Jr. explained. “I’ve struggled with how I’ve lived it out in the Baptist Church, the Episcopal Church … but I never doubted the call (to ministry).”

The Most Rev. Katherine Jefferts Schori, presiding bishop and primate of the Episcopal Church, will oversee today’s elaborate consecration and ordination ceremony at 10 a.m. at Christ Church Cathedral in New Orleans.

Thompson replaces Bishop Charles E. Jenkins who, after serving 12 years, retired in January, citing Hurricane Katrina-induced post-traumatic stress disorder as a primary reason.

Bishop Morris Thompson is in the right place, don't you think?

I went to the reception for our new bishop on Friday evening and spoke with him briefly and then again after the ordination. He's down to earth and quite approachable. Bishop Morris was my first choice after the walkabout, and I'm quite pleased he was elected. He seems a man of great energy, which he will surely need as bishop of the Diocese of Louisiana. I had a few words with Bishop Katharine Jefforts Schori at the the reception, too. She said, "We're praying for you," when I talked about my mixed emotions, celebrating with our new bishop and great concern over the oil in the Gulf of Mexico. I have no pictures of the bishops and me. It did not seem the proper time or place to ask. Anyway, I'm quite shy about requesting pictures with VIPs.

The newspaper account calls the ceremony elaborate, but there was less pageantry than at the ordination of Bishop Jenkins 12 years ago, which seemed right and proper in consideration of the times. The service went only a few minutes past two hours. I'll say more about the ceremony later.

I had my picture taken with only one VIP, my blogging buddy, Archdeacon Ormonde Plater at Through the Dust. Ormonde made me laugh when he said, "Here we meet one another face to face, and then we're going home to write online about meeting each other." So it goes. I believe that Ormonde accompanied Bishop Jim Brown to St. John's when I was received into the Episcopal Church 14 or so years ago. Of course, I could be wrong.

Below is a picture of Ormonde and me.


 

Thanks to Ann for the link to the article in the Advocate.

10 comments:

  1. Younger than Springtime! Wow what a nice picture of you two.

    Glad the event went smoothly and the Anglican/ACNA version of Westboro Baptist Church didn´t do anything unseemly...next week another wonderous extravaganza in Los Angeles! Horray for the NEW BISHOPS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I echo Leonardo's Hooray for the new bishops! May he serve the diocese well, and prayers continuing for all of us along the Gulf Coast. This oil spill is too disturbing to describe in words!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice picture of the two of you. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Younger than Springtime"? LOL! Speaking for myself only, of course.

    Leo, remember the next line in the song? "Gayer than laughter...."

    SCG, the oil hangs out there in the Gulf threatening.

    Lapin, thanks. It is a rather nice photo. I wish I'd thought to take purse off before the picture was snapped.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is a photo of two people from whom I have learned a lot and appreciate very much.

    Blessings on all y'all and your new Bishop Bubba.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice - glad you went - and Katharine is usually great about having her pix taken with people - especially the famous Grandmère Mimi.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this picture of you and Ormonde. It's lovely.
    And Bishop Bubba looks alright too!

    Prayers continue out here for y'all down there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hip, hip! Hooray. Great to see the two of you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great picture of the two of you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks all. I hope that the diocese puts the video on the website. The service was simple, but beautiful.

    And I enjoyed chatting with Ormonde and a good many other people at the receptions.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.