Saturday, May 8, 2010

MORE ON BISHOP THOMPSON'S ORDINATION


NOLA.com also has a nice story on Bishop Thompson's ordination.

In a cathedral packed with local Episcopalians and their guests, the head of the Episcopal Church, USA and her colleagues Saturday ordained the Rev. Morris Thompson Jr. a bishop and installed him at the head of the Diocese of Louisiana, the latest stage of a journey that has led Thompson through Mississippi and Kentucky, the Marine Corps, the Presbyterian and Southern Baptist churches, and now the leadership of 18,000 Episcopalians in South Louisiana.

By convention, Thompson, 54, did not speak, leaving that to his former bishop, Bishop Stacy Sauls of Lexington, who exhorted the audience to help Thompson bring social and economic justice to the region.

"Morris Thompson is, before he is anything else, a pastor," Sauls said. "It goes to the core of who he is."
....

Just after the halfway point in the two-hour service at Christ Church Cathedral, Presiding Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori and other bishops laid hands on Thompson, ritually conferring on him status as a successor to the apostles. Among them was a Lutheran, Bishop Michael Rinehart, bishop of Texas and the Gulf Coast for the Evangelical Church in America. The Episcopal and Evangelical Lutheran churches have been in full communion, meaning they recognize each other's ministries, since 2000.

Nice to have the ecumenical touch there with ELCA Bishop Rinehart joining in the ceremony.

I chatted with Bishop Thompson's son and his fiancée, and he invited me to a meet and greet at the bishop's house this evening. Imagine after a full day like today, having a party at your house this evening. As I said previously, our new bishop seems an energetic man. I'd love to have gone, but I was ready to head home.

9 comments:

  1. That would be amazing- I would be ready for a nap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I watched a major part of the consecration on the live stream Web site. I must confess I took a shower during the sermon! Nonetheless I was pleased to see an episcopal consecration that was so tastefully done. (I know that sounds old-fashioned.) Lately I've seen the most bizarre and truly ugly vestments, banners, music, and atrocities. Hello PB as well. But there was something palpably holy about the New Orleans service that didn't seen to need to make "points" all over the place. Well done y'all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ann, can you believe it?

    But there was something palpably holy about the New Orleans service that didn't seen to need to make "points" all over the place.

    Bruce, I completely agree. I was quite moved by the simplicity of the service, plus we sang several of my favorite hymns. There was more congregational singing than choir performance, which is what I prefer, but the choir did its part quite nicely. The whole experience was reverent and prayerful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blessings on your new bishop and your diocese as you move forward in God's mission to the world... and face the immediate challenges of a human-made disaster bearing down on your shores.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also meant to add that I was pleased it was held in your cathedral and not in a convention center. We all understand the logistics problems and size needs, but it was wonderful to have the cathedral church used for what it was intended. (I will now become more progressive!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. exictedforachangeMay 9, 2010 at 12:15 PM

    is there a way to watch the service online?

    ReplyDelete
  7. EFC, not that I've been able to find. A live stream was available on the diocesan website, but the link no longer works, and there is a note to the effect that:

    Video Recording copies will be available soon. Please check back.

    I hope that is not the end of it, and that folks will have to buy a copy of the video to watch the service. Tomorrow, I will call the office and inquire.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad you went. It's a very special service.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.