Tuesday, May 11, 2010

PRAYERS PLEASE

For Ann's friend Casey.-

UPDATE: From Casey:

I apologize for not writing to you sooner, but the past two weeks have been such a blur that I've hardly had time to catch up with myself. I found out two weeks ago Friday that I had lung cancer. I had no symptoms except a swollen lymph node by my collar bone that was removed and biopsied and a cough that just got worse in the past few weeks. I have never smoked. We were all set to leave for France for a month on that next Thursday for the first part of my three and a half month sabbatical. I was initially diagnosed as being at Stage IIIB -- not good but with aggressive chemo and radiation, I had a chance at living five or more years. But then the PET scan I had a few days later showed that the cancer had spread from my right lung and lymph nodes to my left pelvis and spine, making me Stage IV and no longer a candidate for the aggressive treatment. So tomorrow I begin chemo at a lesser rate and slower pace -- once every three weeks for about six months, or until the traces of cancer shrink. Then hopefully I'll go into remission for at least a year, but the cancer will reoccur, and will be treated with chemo until it no longer has an impact. The doctors say I could live anywhere from 8 months to 4 years, but most likely have "a year or two". As you can imagine, this has totally turned my world upside down. In two weeks I went from assuming I'd live for 30 more years, to hoping I'd get at least five, to now one or two. If it weren't for all the prayers and love and support surrounding me, I wouldn't be staying afloat.

You don't know how much I wish I had better news to share. Your prayers that I will respond well to chemo (and not get too sick!) would be most appreciated.

Shalom,
Casey

For David@Montreal's cousin Frank:

He is still fighting another round of cancer, but the doctors are hopeful. He's into the hospital in Vancouver at least once a week for blood draws etc and takes almost 30 pills a day (only one of them a repeat). Apparently the genetic material which was used in the gene therapy you all prayed his through last year was from a German lady.

Gratitude- more joyous gratitude than you can imagine would be an apt approximation of Frank's state.

For Tommy Braveheart from Margaret:

I received a call last night at just after 11pm --Tommy Braveheart is not prospering and has suffered another set-back. His parents are devastated and exhausted. His parents blurted out on the phone --if he dies, we want you to come do the funeral. My heart is breaking with and for them and those who love them.... Please keep them in your prayers.

In thanksgiving for Arkansas Hillbilly, a new college graduate.

That the brains at British Petroleum can figure out a way to stop the oil gushing into the Gulf of Mexico since April 20 and that the leadership of the corporations involved will take responsibility for their decisions and actions.

For the families of the 11 men who lost their lives in the original well explosion.

For those whose livelihoods are lost or severely affected by the disaster.

For those who work to protect the environment from damage and those who clean up after the damage.


We pray to you, O Lord.

11 comments:

  1. All are in my prayers. How hard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Argh, Casey sounds EXACTLY like my friend Cath (for whom I've asked prayers here, there, & everywhere): Stage 4 Lung Cancer, Never-Smoker.

    [Cath has been fighting over a year and a half now, and is fairly OK at the moment: I hope and pray Casey does as well, or much better!]

    ReplyDelete
  3. O Lord hear our prayers.

    My husband was told he had six months to live after his lung cancer diagnosis. He died 2 1/2 years later after some lovely and magical halcyon days and months and years

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susankay, what a lovely and hopeful story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Casey -

    Sending wishes for strength and courage your way. There is a wonderful resource for those battling lung cancer at:
    http://cancergrace.org/

    - Cath

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.