Tuesday, October 19, 2010

OCT. 20: WEAR PURPLE FOR THOSE LOST


On October 20th, 2010, we will wear purple in honor of the 6 gay boys who committed suicide in recent weeks/months due to homophobic abuse in their homes and at their schools. Purple represents Spirit on the LGBTQ flag and that’s exactly what we’d like all of you to have with you: spirit. Please know that times will get better and that you will meet people who will love you and respect you for who you are, no matter your sexuality. Please wear purple on October 20th. Tell your friends, family, co-workers, neighbors and schools. RIP Tyler Clementi, Asher Brown, Seth Walsh, Justin Aaberg, Raymond Chase and Billy Lucas. You are loved.

Posted by IT at The Friends of Jake.

10 comments:

  1. I will put on my purple jacket tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a rally at the State House here in Columbia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good heavens, I'm already at work. I'll buy something purple after work before I go to the vestry meeting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have anything purple to wear. I'll need to buy a ribbon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The closest shade in my wardrobe is plum but I have my plum shirt and plum sweatshirt on. Well, there is the silk damask chasuble but I don't think I could pull that off in the office.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, there is the silk damask chasuble but I don't think I could pull that off in the office.

    Oh go on, Paul. Do it. What's the worst that could happen? Fired? Hauled away by the men in the white coats?

    ReplyDelete
  7. There you go, fomenting trouble again, GM.

    I don't want the goons spoiling the silk, Almy hit me up $1000 for that puppy way back when; imagine the replacement cost!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OK, Paul, I won't make more trouble.

    I have a doctor's appointment, and I will not have time to buy a ribbon. I printed the illustration in this post, and I will pin it on my blouse or shirt. The picture prints small, just right for a collar or lapel.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rowan and the Nigerian & Ugandan bishops will be doing their bit as well, Mimi.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lapin, Rowan doesn't wear purple. He sees himself as a humble priest. Except for vestments, of course. The others won't be honoring anyone but themselves.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.