Thursday, October 21, 2010

"VOTE YOUR HEART OUT"

Mark Harris at Preludium has a splendid post about politics and voting. Christine O'Donnell is a candidate for the US Senate in Mark's state.

Almost no one seems to get it: We need elected officials who are willing to do the mind numbing job of reading sewer reports and statistical tables, economic reports and proposals for new technologies and then vote with some wisdom. If they can't read or don't have time that they hire good people who do and will instruct them.

And we ought to expect from our elected leaders that they help this country break its war habit, a habit that poisons our economy, community life and takes lives endlessly.

I hear very little mention of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan by the candidates, more's the pity. Mark posts charts which illustrate the human and monetary costs of our wars.

Along with his wise words about the coming elections, Mark posted the video below, which made me smile and which I've lifted. In these times, a smile is most welcome.


4 comments:

  1. Love it. Grew up on Gilbert ad Sullivan. Singing patter songs really DOES teach E-NUNC-EE-A-SHUN doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't sing along. I'm not quick enough in my E-NUNC-EE-A-SHUN to keep up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was fun. Shades of my mother. We used to sing Gilbert and Sullivan around the piano when I was growing up.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.