Thursday, November 4, 2010

BARBIE AND GI JOE




Wicked Paul the BB sent me the following joke from his equally wicked friend Kathy saying:

Clearly not blog material, but it is naughty and might make you chuckle.

The joke is naughty, and I responded with more than a chuckle on first reading, and second, and third. I've been pondering the joke for several days, because I was not quite so clear as Paul that the joke was not blog material. Today, following my discovery of the video for the Nissan commercial, I decided that my blog would not be child-friendly just for this one day - just this one day, you understand!

Here is the naughty joke:

A little girl clambered aboard Santa's lap and mumbled charmingly around a finger: "I wanna...I wanna a Barbie Doll and a...um...a GI Joe."

Santa was startled. "Well, honey, you know, GI Joe's are kind of for boys more than girls. Barbie comes with a Ken, not a GI Joe."

"No," she said firmly, pulling out her finger. "She only fakes it with Ken. She comes with GI Joe."

Paul's further commentary:

Kathy is very naughty this time and I told her I do not wish to think about how a little girl would know so much so soon.

Disclosure: My son works for Nissan.

UPDATE: Grandpère was rather shocked that I posted the joke. He said, "It's like something you'd find in Playboy." He could be right. I wouldn't know, because I never read Playboy.

15 comments:

  1. Kathy wrote:
    I can't believe she put it online! Come to think of it (no pun intended), it may have actually come from a Penthouse or Playboy magazine. I heard it a long time ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Obviously, y'all underestimate my wickedness. I'm not telling Tom what you said, Paul. I'm sure it was from a long time ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wise choice. I think I have caused poor Grandpere enough anxiety in the time I've known you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always rather had the impression Ken came with GI Joe too. But that might just have been Ken's expression.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cathy, now you mention it, Ken is a bit gayish looking, not really the most manly of men.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ken would totally fall for GI Joe and probably give Joe more action than the fashion-obsessed Barbie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My thoughts, too, Cathy. As Barbie and G.I.Joe roared off in that sports car, I didn't think that sad, far away, wishful look on Ken's face was all for Barbie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. See? It's only the grown-ups who are around tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I came across it (what the heck) in Herb Caen's column in the San Francisco Chronicle. He, alas, moved on to another plane of existence a number of years ago; hence we could set a terminus ad quem for the date of creation of the joke. It was a dialogue between toy-store customer and clerk, "Does Barbie come with Ken?"

    I guess the Chron figured that the kiddies would go on by it obliviously (and how many would be reading that column?), or else they'd know what it meant, in which case they're already corrupted.

    I remember my daughter commenting a couple of years ago on Les Miserables, the music of which she and her friends had completely memorized when she was around -- 10? Maybe 8? Hearing the Lovely Ladies song on some occasion, she reflected on what she must have made of that when she was 9 or 10, and wasn't sure. But children encounter all kinds of obscure grown-up stuff, and just expect not to understand it all.

    Note 1: I love Dorothy L Sayers's constant termini a quo and ad quem. (from which and at which) Don't think I've seen the phrases outside of her detective stories.

    Note 2: Then again the Chron is in the Pacific Great Satan, from which I send fraternal greetings to the Gulf Great Satan.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Porlock, what a pleasure to meet with a citizen of another Pan-Great Satan group.

    My thought was that the joke would pass over the heads of all but the most sophisticated of my vast readership amongst the children.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Porlock, I forgot to say that I loves me some Dorothy Sayers, too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The change in weather in south Louisiana in the last day or so has given many of us older folks a tinge of arthritis in our joints (no pun intended), but Mimi it makes frisky.

    I stand with Tom B. And, while true that not all gay men are pretty as Ken, he sure is kinda purty.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Crapaud, you're late to the party. I sense that this joke will haunt me well into the future.

    Yes, I was feeling a bit frisky at the time I posted the joke, although the temptation was there as soon as Paul sent it to me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My thought is that GI Joe would prefer Ken, actually. I suspect Barbie would be left to try on her clothes in the mirror on her own while the two men roared away in the sports car together. I don't think she would even mind.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't think she would even mind.

    Prolly not, Cathy. Barbie seems to be pretty much a self-contained type as long as she has her clothes and her stuff.

    My daughter and sons sometimes played together, daughter with her Barbies and sons with their GI Joes. The equipment that came with both sets of dolls was huge, and we lived in a small house. Of course, the boy toys were not called dolls. They were action figures. I'm not saying what kind of action, though.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.