Saturday, November 13, 2010

"CAN TWO WALK TOGETHER EXCEPT THEY BE AGREED?"

From Jonathan Jennings in the comments to Bishop Alan's post titled, Right solution, wrong problem?:

The prophet Amos asks "can two walk together except they be agreed."

Yes they can. I have always held that pilgrims bound for different destinations may still, for a time, share the same road.

Some 25 years ago I found myself on a mountain with a young man with, to my ears, completely unformed political views. We argued for about three hours whilst journeying half way towards the summit. When we got to our lunch stop, my rucksack was found to contain no lunch. Although our views were becoming more divergent he instantly broke his sandwiches in half and we shared them and then his soup and chocolate, before starting our descent, arguing the whole time.

We parted that evening, still unreconciled but having shared a day, a lunch and an incredible mountain.

I have long treasured the memory of that day, made more poignant as he, sadly, was killed on that mountain about three weeks later on an expedition that I had at one stage been due to join.

I have no difficulty with the idea that we might journey and break bread with those whose views we find repellent.

What a lovely story! How pertinent to our present discussion of the Anglican Covenant. Jonathan's commentary presents an alternate perspective to that of the Anglicans who refuse to share the table with "sinner" provinces, neither the table of the Lord, nor even the table to meet and speak with one another.

Bishop Alan's post and the entire, lengthy discussion in the comments is well worth reading.

4 comments:

  1. The most conservative person in our parish and I, the most heretical, were the delegates to diocesan convention. At one point he introduced me to one of his friends as being as far from him theologically as possible yet we are friends and we serve and receive from each other. We both wonder why others can't get along. Perhaps because we don't have clergy who stir up ugly emotions?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Piskie, I'm pleased you were elected.

    We both wonder why others can't get along.

    Exactly. I'm amongst the most progressive in my parish. I'm not in a position of power at present, but I did serve on the vestry, and although others on the vestry and in my church disagree with many of my views, we get along. Why can't others? It appears that certain folks are not happy unless they impose their views on others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not only can we get along, but we must. Think of the alternative.

    After several centuries of war, Great Britain, France and Germany are finally getting along together. The world is better for it. European nations are still disagreeing with one another on every topic under the sun, but they have stopped killing each other.

    The world and the church are becoming more diverse, not less, and we must find a way to live together. The diversity isn't going away. The point is learning how to deal with it like adults.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The point is learning how to deal with it like adults.

    Yes, Paul, and when will that be? Sometimes it's truly depressing.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.