Saturday, November 6, 2010

WOT THEMETHATISME WROTE TO THE NEWSPAPERS

From the comments:

themethatisme said...
I have forwarded a brief missive to the newspapers covering this...

Sir,
The Bishop of St. Asaph in comparing opposition to the covenant to an ecclesiastical BNP, can only indicate just how abstracted episcopal thought is from reality, it's clergy and parishioners. As one of the designers of this expensive, punitive, bureaucratic and prejudicial piece of legislation, it is incredible that he can make such a suggstion about those among us who promote inclusivity. Opposition is not solely rooted here in England but is a growing multi-national body of opinion which is determined to showcase this nonsense for what it is.

Whilst the covenant is touted as a document which will prevent splits in the communion, it is in fact a document which legitimises splitting on the terms of the powerful, centralising authority in the few, increasing costs to the whole church not least through boosting the episcopal Airmiles tally. If the bishop believes that name-calling is a positive premise upon which to conduct debate, then he was probably a good choice for the design of such a document.

NT.(Non-ecclesiastical caucus.)

Excellent, TheMe. I could not have said it so well myself. Isn't it about time to post again on your blog?

I remind you once again of No Anglican Covenant, where you can sign up to join the group in its opposition to to the covenant. Your comments are welcome at the web site.

UPDATE: Themethatisme heeded my advice and posted on his blog the fine sermon on the Anglican Covenant, which he preached today.

Still, as I am preaching in the morning, I have thought to include my sermon here as I would usually do, but it will be noted that my sermon this morning although taking an askance look at the mornings gospel, is principally in order to announce to my parish church my thoughts and feelings on this here covenant thingy. I am delighted to see the launch earlier this week of NO ANGLICAN COVENANT, and am pleased to add what I may to the argument against its adoption. The following reworks some bits and pieces that I previously have shared with trying to awaken a local consciousness to a global matter.

2 Thess. 2:1-5,13-end; Luke 20:27-38

St. Mary Magdalene, 7th November 2010.

TheMe's sermon is well worth a read.

6 comments:

  1. ...expensive, punitive, bureaucratic and prejudicial piece of legislation....

    That is good! And the final words about name-calling, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. TheMe heeded my advice and posted a fine sermon on his blog today. It's well worth a read.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.