Monday, December 13, 2010

WENCHOSTER CALENDAR - DECEMBER 2010

 

I understand. I've never had to participate in five carol services, but I imagine I'd look a bit jaded afterward, too, even more so than the Herberts.


 

Click on the calendar for the enlarged view.

In the past few months, I've slipped up by forgetting to post the Diocese of Wenchoster calendar. My apologies.

Brief commentary on the December calendar:

I want to see a picture of St Kenneth the Good-looking.

I'll pass on incense-testing day. The smoke gets to me.

The pew-leaping should be a sight to behold.

"Presents for Peasants" Gift Day is noblesse oblige at its best.

How would you like to live in Bonk?

Who knew St Ursula was the Queen of Thighs? The Wikipedia article gives no clue, except that the Basilica of St Ursula in Cologne contains lots of bones, and presumably there could be thigh bones in the mix, although they are not mentioned. According to the article, the collection includes the following information:

A surgeon of eminence was once banished from Cologne for opining that, among the collection of bones which are said to pertain to the heads, there were several belonging to full-grown mastiffs.

"Dem bones, dem bones, dem dry bones...."

10 comments:

  1. I hope the mulled wine at the Eucharist on the 26th is not left over from the Abbots' tasting on the 8th....

    wv: hortiffy. I guess that has something to do with turning something into a plant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wasn't Ursula the saint who traveled with 10,000 virgins? No one said some of the virgins weren't mastiffs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Penny, I hope it's not the same wine.

    I hope, too, that your WV doesn't mean that you will be turned into a plant. But the glass half-full side, if that is the case, is that I can name you as my first plant visitor to my blog.

    St Ursula is the one, Paul.

    No one said some of the virgins weren't mastiffs.

    Exactly.

    What does one do with a basilica dedicated to a saint who has been removed from the canon? Carry on, I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I gather that the new year's edition of the calendar is now available in a highly limited edition.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lapin, yes. I'll ask at the Wenchoster Gift Shoppe if there are leftovers from the subscribers and post a link for anyone else who would like to have a calendar.

    The email about the 2011 edition reminded me to post the month of December calendar.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Um, this is a parody thang, right?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Penelopepiscopal,

    "Hortiffy" is what the prospect of that fifth carol does to one, particularly after mulling over all that wine.

    "Herbivicus" is the spell for transforming into plants - I know this, because I've played almost all of the Harry Potter video games.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Um, this is a parody thang, right?

    JCF, your comment is a parody, thang, right?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not sure if it is all those carol services or just being a clergy spouse. My heart goes out to the lady.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Paul, you could be right. The lady has the saddest eyes.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.