Thursday, January 20, 2011

"BLACK SWAN" - A WILD EMOTIONAL RIDE


A couple of nights ago, Grandpère and I went to see "Black Swan". GP pushed me to go, which surprised me, because I didn't think he'd care to see a ballet movie. The ratings were positive, for the most part, and I was happy to go.

What a wild emotional ride the movie turned out to be. We were both swept up in the experience and stayed with it until the end. "Black Swan" has been described as a psychosexual thriller, and that's about right. I'll try my best not to give away too much of the story, as I write about the movie. Wonder of wonders, Grandpère, who has never been to a ballet, now says that he would like to see a ballet. For him, the film was a conversion experience.

Across the board, the principal actors gave fine performances. Natalie Portman, as Nina Sayers, an aspiring ballerina, was amazing. I read that she did 90% of the dancing in the movie. She and Mila Kunis, who played Lily, Nina's rival/friend (in an impressive performance!), both spent several months practicing and getting into shape to play their roles as dancers.

The artistic director of the ballet company to which both Nina and Lily belong, Thomas Leroy (Victor Cassel), plucks Nina from the corps de ballet to dance, according to tradition, the dual starring roles of Odette/Odile, the good white swan and the evil black swan. Leroy is confidant of Nina's ability to dance the part of Odette, but he harbors doubts that Nina has what it takes to dance the evil Odile. Lily is chosen as the understudy.

Barbara Hershey (Erica Sayers) as the creepy, smothering, former ballet-dancer stage mother of Nina was outstanding, as were Winona Ryder (Beth Macintyre), in a cameo role as the aging ballerina, edged out of the limelight, and Vincent Cassel (Thomas Leroy) as the artistic director.

Benjamin Millepied plays David, Nina's dance partner in "Swan Lake". The real-life Natalie Portman is now engaged to Millepied. and the two are expecting a baby.

The cinematography, which was shot in cinema verité style, is terrific, as is the score for the film, with Tchaikovsky's wonderful music for the ballet woven in. All the excellence is pulled together by the director Darren Aronofsky from a screenplay by Mark Heyman and Andres Heinz.

Make no mistake, the movie put us through an emotional wringer and won't be soon forgotten. The film is many-layered, and I know I missed out on a good many details in certain scenes. After GP and I left, and we questioned each other, "What really happened there and there?" We answered some, but not all of the questions that we posed one to the other, and, about certain scenes, we concluded that there may be no one answer.

I highly recommend the movie, although I expect it won't be everyone's cup of tea. But keep in mind that GP and I have fairly different tastes in movies, and we'd both like to see the film again.

13 comments:

  1. I don't know what you know about Mila Kunis, but she's had a pretty astounding young life. I really enjoy her, and it's unusual to find a young, beautiful actress willing to take the acting risks she does.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark, I know that she and her family migrated here from the Ukraine when Mila was quite young. She is a wonderful actor and a beautiful woman.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The story of Natalie Portman's training for the film is truly remarkable. She trained with Charlotte ballerina Mary Helen Bowers for TWO YEARS before they started filming "Black Swan." You can read about it here:

    http://tinyurl.com/6xff9x3

    I haven't seen the film yet, but Portman's dedication to preparing for the role floored me. It is definitely on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Doxy, two years? Well, as I said, she was amazing in the role. I'll check out your link.

    Göran, see the film if you have a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am hanging out to see Black Swan, which I plan to shortly. Your review has only made me more eager, Mimi.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Exactly, Mimi.

    And she began second grade without a word of English, her family having left the Ukraine because Jews still aren't welcome there. It says a lot for her strength and intelligence.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cathy and Mark, see the film, and I guess you can blame me if you don't like it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mimi, does that mean we can blame you for Absolutely Everything? ...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cathy, why not? You wouldn't be the first. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I considered seeing the King's Speech for the 2nd time. It only opened in NZ a week ago, I saw it at Christmas in Australia. Instead I decided to see the Black Swan which opened today. Big mistake. I hated it and do not know how I sat it out. I had my eyes closed a lot of the time as I have problems with blood, enough said.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brian, I'm sorry. I guess you can blame me.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.