Thursday, September 1, 2011

ABOUT TRADITIONAL MARRIAGE...

From today's readings from the Lectionary:
King Solomon loved many foreign women along with the daughter of Pharaoh: Moabite, Ammonite, Edomite, Sidonian, and Hittite women, from the nations concerning which the Lord had said to the Israelites, ‘You shall not enter into marriage with them, neither shall they with you; for they will surely incline your heart to follow their gods;’ Solomon clung to these in love. Among his wives were seven hundred princesses and three hundred concubines; and his wives turned away his heart. For when Solomon was old, his wives turned away his heart after other gods; and his heart was not true to the Lord his God, as was the heart of his father David.

1 Kings 11:1-4
...I guess it depends upon how far back you go in the traditions.

9 comments:

  1. "King David and King Solomon, led merry, merry lives,
    "With many, many lady friends and many, many wives;
    "But when old age crept over them, with many, many qualms,
    "King Solomon wrote the Proverbs and King David wrote the Psalms."


    James Ball Naylor (who he?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quite. Traditional marriage clap-trap. The only thing Christian about marriage is the blessing. The rest is simply an attempt to control a secular law.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lapin, I don't know who he, but I like his doggerel.

    Hi Ostrich. It's good to hear from you. Yes, it's all about controlling the lives of others. The clergy did not officiate at marriage ceremonies until rather late in the history of the Christian church.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seven hundred princesses and three hundred concubines is a lot of women to keep happy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tom said he thought the numbers were be a bit over the top.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When men are bragging, numbers are flexible. I wish I could remember the joke about the woman with bad judgment of distance whose defense was that "if you'd been told for years that THIS was eight inches, you'd have a bad sense of distance too." I've lowered the tone again, haven't I?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Damn, Paul, I can't believe you did it again! I'm trying to run a high-toned operation here, and you won't cooperate.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just cant help myself, I'm a low-class kinda guy. Remember, back around 1970 in BAPTIST seminary one of my classmates called me "pottymouth." It has not gotten better since.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Paul, what a thorn in the side you must have been at the BAPTIST seminary. I can't imagine how you made it through.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.