Tuesday, November 29, 2011

PADRE MICKEY - A SAD END TO 12 YEARS OF MISSIONARY SERVICE


Please read Padre Mickey's A Big Honkin' Announcement post.
So, I guess I might as well finally give this news to all fifty-three of my Faithful Readers here at Padre Mickey's Dance Party, as I already announced it on Facebook and yesterday at Parroquia San Cristóbal: on Tuesday, November 22, 2011, I submitted my resignation as Rector of St. Christopher's Parish, effective December 18, 2011. I've been trying to find a position in the U.S.A. and have been unsuccessful, to say the least.
....

So, keep us in yer prayers and stuff. Personally, I find this a rather anti-climatic ending to twelve years of service as missionaries, but one never knows what God has in mind.
Padre Mickey's difficulty in finding a position in the church brings tears to my eyes. I simply can't believe that an Episcopal priest, who served sacrificially with his wife, the Lovely Mona, as missionaries in Panama for 12 years with low pay, is now having difficulty finding a job. They want to be in California, where both sets of aging parents live. Padre speaks Spanish and plays the electric bass, as you see him pictured above. Why wouldn't a number of parishes in California want to snap him up as their rector? I don't understand. Truly, I don't. I realize that not every parish considers playing the electric bass a priority, and Padre doesn't have a full head of hair, but still....

All joking aside, Padre and Mona will have no source of income once he is gone from St Christopher's in Panama, so if you'd like to help them, here's the contact information:
Nathaniel Lim
St. Francis Episcopal Church
1205 Pine Ave.
San Jose, CA 95125
408-292-7090.
Padre says:
Please feel free to check St. Francis' web site, which includes an archive of our letters and pictures of our mission.

20 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this, Grandmère Mimi! Personally, I don't see it as a sad end, just an end and a somewhat bittersweet. It's difficult to apply for a position when one is some three thousand miles away, plus times are tough financially so I guess churches are being cautious about how much of the budget is spent on the Rector Search.

    Thanks for posting the information in regards to the fund, because we will need that kind of help for sure.

    Bendiciones a todos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Padre, if I can see the value of your ministry all the way from Louisiana and know that your service would be an asset to any parish, why can't everyone see it? So I'm biased. So sue me. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What Mimi said. What you need are some connections in the diocese of LA. I can't imagine Jon Bruno wouldn't snap you up in a nanosecond.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just sent off a note to a friendly bishop. Let's keep those prayer beads rattling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elizabeth, your kind of input may be just what Padre needs. I don't know anyone in California who might be helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, just heard back from my friendly bishop who said right now there is a "glut" of clergy who speak Spanish and are looking for work. BUT, the name went forward to the appropriate diocesan person who handles these matters.

    We live in sure and certain hope. And, in the meantime, we do what we can and pray like hell.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Elizabeth, thanks for that bit of guidance. I'll get busy praying like hell!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My connections in DioNorCal aren't high level, but I'll do what I can...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have this vision of a parish with Padre Mickey and our Margaret as the priests. I would join that parish in a heartbeat!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great thought, Doxy! Now wouldn't that be some kind of a winning team? Why all these good, great, out of work clergy are not snapped up by search committees is testimony to why church membership is on the downgrade. Those who want "same old, same old" and resist a challenge will be gone ... sooner than later!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Padre and margaret...the dream team!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Diocese of the Rio Grande incorporates all of New Mexico, a state with 42% Hispanic population, and part of west Texas. We have very few Spanish-speaking clergy. I don't have suck, but I have mentioned it to the good Padre. We also have a great new bishop.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Paul, this is the sort of info Padre needs. And New Mexico is not so very far away from California.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, honey, NM is very far from CA. lol. On many levels. But it is still part of the mountainous West. Like everyone else around here I'd love to have the Padre and the Lovely Mona in my neck of the woods. And Margaret and Elizabeth and Lee!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Other places are farther away....

    If everyone moves to your neck of the woods, I'd consider moving myself, but the desert climate makes my wrinkles show more.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Why do you think be buy lotion by the gallon here? Then again, we've earned our wrinkles.

    When in NOLA for 6.5 months I did not need a drop of lotion for my hands.

    ReplyDelete
  17. My dears - Thank you but I am NOT looking for parish ministry. Anywhere. Ever. Again. Oh, I'll help out here and there. I might even be talked into a Very Short interim. I love what I'm doing now. All the good stuff of parish ministry without the "Killer B's": boilers, budgets and bishops.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Elizabeth, I understand. Got out of the racket myself in 2006. I also think you are where you belong; you would probably be unhappy in the high desert and I would not hear stories of your seaside cooking. I rejoice in what you do. Feel free to visit sometime, though.

    ReplyDelete
  19. One of these days, Paul. One of these days. As Jesus says, "Keep awake".

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.