Friday, January 13, 2012

OYSTERS RIGHT AND LEFT AND BUBBLES


Pictured above is President Franklin Roosevelt dining at Antoine's Restaurant during a visit to New Orleans in 1937. Seated to the right of FDR is Governor Richard Leche and to his left is New Orleans Mayor Robert Maestri. After the the diners finished the appetizer course of Oysters Rockefeller, Mayor Maestri leaned over to FDR and said, "How ya like dem erstuhs, Chief?" I've always loved the story, which I remember hearing from my father when I was quite young. Though Maestri never went beyond the third grade in school, he was no dumb bunny and played the game of politics skillfully.

All of the above is a lead-in to tell you that the present crop of Louisiana oysters is to die for. I've eaten more than my share of outstandingly tasty raw oysters this year, before Grandpère has a chance to cook them. He now knows to stand guard, because the first taste of an oyster is addictive, and once I start eating, I can't stop. We've had oysters fried (perfectly!), broiled, oyster spaghetti, and oysters in tomato sauce over pasta. All the dishes were delicious, but oysters in tomato sauce was a mistake. The taste of the tomato sauce overwhelmed the taste of the oysters, and why would anyone want to do that? GP admitted that when oysters are as divine tasting as this year's crop, tomato sauce is not the way to go.

Although I've eaten oysters from several different waters, I've yet to to be served bivalves as tasty as the Louisiana variety. The two varieties that came closest in quality, though the flavors were quite different, were from Long Island Sound and the waters off the northwest coast of Scotland.

Read in NOLA.com what New Orleans chefs say about the local oysters as compared to those from elsewhere. They know because for six months after the BP oil spill, Louisiana oysters were unavailable.

Photo (minus the thought bubble) from Wikipedia. The bubble comes courtesy of MadPriest, master bubble maker.

Below is the same photo with an unrequested speech bubble inserted, because I sent wrong instructions to the master bubble maker about which gentleman with FDR should have the thought bubble, which necessitated a redo by MadPriest. The problem is that I have difficulty knowing my left hand from my right. It's true. I have to stop and think if I hear, "Turn left here," and, at times, once I've thought, it's too late to turn. Over the years, I've learned to compensate to a degree, but I still don't always get right and left right...if you know what I mean.


How could I possibly know FDR's (or the master bubble maker's) right hand from his left, when I don't even know my own?

18 comments:

  1. I am not so narrow-minded that I condemn cooking an oyster, but Tomato Sauce! Mercy sakes!

    I don't want to be nor to seem rude, but has Grandpere had a checkup lately, Mimi?

    ReplyDelete
  2. And here I thought that the "bubbles" meant Champagne. I was reading it going, "yes, and what about the Champagne? Is Mimi drinking Champagne with her oysters? What Champagne did FDR drink with his oysters?" Don't tease me like this! If you are going to have oysters you might as well have Champagne!

    ReplyDelete
  3. johnieb, we must make allowances for GP because of his great love for tomato sauce. I told him not to do it, but he wouldn't listen. Some folks only learn from their mistakes. I can promise you that he won't do it again.

    Dennis, heh-heh. My headline got you over here didn't it? I'm not stupid, ya know.

    Your suggestion of the Taittinger for our anniversary celebration was excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Comics makers usually call them Speech Balloons, although the convention of using small connecting circles to denote thought does look bubbly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Murdoch, I go back and forth between balloons and bubbles for the sake of variety. The websites that offer help in making the balloons/bubbles use both terms. I have yet to master the thought balloon/bubble, but I may know how to make the next speech balloon...or not. We shall see.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joel makes a wicked oyster pie --light and delicious! We'll just have to come your way some day soon and see if your oysters live up to my experience of Pacific oysters!!! I have had oysters in Maryland --and I must say, they run a close second, so far!

    ReplyDelete
  7. margaret, the worst oysters I've had were in Seattle. I would not eat them there again. Perhaps the oysters were not representative. I've never had Maryland oysters.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You may not know your left from your right, but at least you know your front from your back.

    ReplyDelete
  9. And I know up from down...thank heaven for that. The problem is in the brain and is probably associated with my very poor sense of direction.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I love oysters. Mimi, I need to visit Louisiana in the oyster season. (I guess you have one? There are months here in the UK you're not supposed to eat them.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cathy, the oysters are eaten here only in the months with an 'r' in them...not in the hottest months. Right now is the prime of the season for eating them on the half shell or raw. You would die for the taste.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I do love oysters and have become very fond of the ones from Damariscotta. They are called Pemaquid after the peninsula. Great, clean aftertaste.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mimi, I've eaten fried ersters twice this week--on a po-boy and in a salad. That BP erl (= oil) sure pepped them up.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amelia, I've never tasted oysters from your area, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. ;-)

    Ormonde, aren't the oysters out of this world? I salivate just thinking about them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oil-polluted oysters!! I bet they put hair on yer chest. Mimi, I'm relying on you to be my supplier when I come visit :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. The BP oil adds the special flavor to the oysters that makes them so special this year. ;-)

    Seriously, with all the extra freshwater that was released through diversions from the Mississippi into the Gulf of Mexico to prevent the oil from reaching the oyster beds, it was not the oil that killed the oysters last year but the freshwater which reduced the salinity in the water. This year, conditions must have been right, though the oysters don't come cheap.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I place my vote for North Carolina oysters. I am of an age to where I have been to several different places that used to offer an 'all you can eat' oyster roast. You stood at a table made from 2x4s and plywood covered with newspaper. Baskets of oysters were brought to the table and spread out. Mr. J and I waddled out. They are no more. Sigh. Oh, those little pea crabs. OH, oh oh!

    Now Mr J and I have to settle for every Saturday night oyster stew. Still PDG.
    amyj

    ReplyDelete
  18. amyj, that the oysters in NC are no more is criminal. I'd like to have tasted them, but alas... I'm afraid our oysters may disappear some day.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.