Wednesday, August 1, 2012

ONE OF THOSE DAYS

Yesterday I was in funk for most of the day. In the morning, Grandpère found the notice to the left hanging on our front door. Encephalitis in the neighborhood! On my street?  In my town?  Panic began to rise. Then I read all the fine print.  "Mosquitoes that can carry ENCEPHALITIS have been found in your neighborhood and we need your help."  The local newspaper published the news that West Nile virus had been found in mosquitoes in Lafourche Parish, where I live, and it's a good thing to remind people not to leave standing water around where mosquitoes can breed, but the notice could have been worded in a way that would not frighten people so.  Still, my first panicked questions would not have come up had I read the fine print.

 Here's how West Nile fever works.  Humans contract the virus from a bite from an infected mosquito.  Most people who are infected with the disease either have no symptoms at all or suffer a very mild illness.  However, in rare cases, and we have had a couple around here, the virus "can cause encephalitis (inflammation of the brain) or meningitis (inflammation of the lining of the brain and spinal cord)."  It does not matter where in a community the cases of serious illness develop, because the disease does not pass from person to person.

What the notice did was push me to decide that so long as the threat of West Nile lasts, I will walk in daylight, when it is hot, but when the mosquitoes are not so much on the move, rather than after sunset, when it is cooler.  


Later in the day, I called the Circulation Department of the Times-Picayune to cancel our subscription. I have not been reading the paper since the announcement of the cutback to three days a week for the paper edition beginning in October and the layoff of half the staff.  The newspaper is already turning into a shell of itself, and I don't want to watch the decline until October.   I thought we'd do better to get our refund from Advance Publications now rather than wait for our subscription to run out.  The customer service rep asked why we were cancelling, and I said one word, "Newhouse," and she understood.  I felt so sad after I cancelled, because I've been reading the Times-Picayune my whole life since I could read, starting with the comics, or the funnies, as we called them in New Orleans. I missed the paper for three years while we lived in Mobile, but as soon as we moved back to Louisiana, we subscribed again.

We also subscribe to the Baton Rouge Advocate, which will place permanent staff in New Orleans to cover the news there. Several groups and individuals, the latest being Tom Benson, owner of the New Orleans Saints, have offered to buy the paper from Newhouse, but they refuse to sell.  We will surely support any worthwhile effort to set up a rival daily newspaper, and we will not subscribe to Newhouse's pathetic web version.

As you see, the day was already a downer when I read that Kenneth Roop, the man who shot Nick Rainey, the door-to-door meat and seafood salesman, had been on trial for pointing a gun at a meter reader some years back, but he was found not guilty of improper exhibition of a weapon.  The prosecutor at the trial said Roop was a ticking time bomb.  The bomb ticked for quite a while, but it finally went off.  Not long before reading the account, I saw the meter reader for my neighborhood pass by my window to read our meter. It made me think.  A jury of his peers did not think pointing a gun at a meter reader and terrifying her was an improper exhibition of a weapon, and Roop was permitted to continue to own a gun, with the result that another innocent person is dead from gunshot.

Some days I just want to give up, and yesterday was one of those days.

12 comments:

  1. I'm glad you didn't. Give up, that is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. margaret, I didn't give up, and today is a new day. We must plod on.

      Delete
  2. Some days you eat the bear; some days the bear eats you.

    Not that I ever had an appetite for bear (which probably got me where I am today!), but that's what they used to tell me.

    I hope this day gets better for you. I promise to do my part, by not making any more rude comments about cartoons.

    Just about Chick-Fil-A, but hey, guy's gotta have an opinion on something! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesterday the bear ate me.

      About the cartoon...it was a cartoon.

      I've never eaten at Chick-Fil-A, nor do I plan to, so I've been sort of outside the discussion. I can't take on every issue. Look what trouble someone else's cartoon brought me. ;-)

      Delete
  3. The Newhouse heirs have done the same thing to the papers in Mobile, Birmingham, and Huntsville. If they want to play hard ball and not agree to sell out to local investors, I've decided to quit buying all Newhouse publications including those that are Conde Nast which, unfortunately, includes the New Yorker, among others. But I refuse to do business with absolute barbarians.
    Ro Ford
    (Boo Cat)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ro, not The New Yorker! I've subscribed since I was in college. My ethics crash against my desires.

    Agreed the people who run the show at Newhouse now are ruthless and destructive, and I am furious with them. I remember the Mobile Press-Register with some fondness, too. Oh dear!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know it is difficult, sometimes, dear friend, but I also know you are as tough as nails and will endure these assaults on your "sense and sensibility"! God bless you always; and continue writing as a good therapy in exorcising the demons that assail.

    As to the Chicken King... I didn't get the name of the institution. First time I saw it, on a visit to San Antonio a few years back, I reduced my otherwise gracious host to helpless laughter when I asked, in all innocence, "What is Chick Fill Ahhh?"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your kind words, cher Tobias. I am shocked, shocked that you did not "get" the clever faux français name of the restaurant. I'm with the New Orleans blogger who said, "Why would you eat chicken from Chick-Fil-A when you can have Pop-Eye's?" Indeed, if I'm going to have a guilty pleasure, it will be Pop-Eye's fried chicken. On certain occasions, I crave calorie-laden, artery-clogging Pop-Eye's birds. Fortunately, the cravings come on rather widely spaced occasions.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Why would you eat chicken from Chick-Fil-A when you can have Pop-Eye's?"

    FTW!

    I'm not sure Pop-Eye's is in Sacramento (must check!). Sure enjoyed them in Michigan, though!

    Chick-Fil-A, never. I was in the (happy) position of hearing about their terrible politics (several *years* ago), before I EVER had the possibility of eating at one.

    {{{Mimi}}}. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chick-Fil-A didn't seem like my kind of place. I don't even like the name.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Joel, I forgot about the full moon. Since I'm moonstruck in all the phases, that's probably the reason for my bad day. You see, because of mosquitoes and the West Nile virus, I've started walking during daylight hours, so I have not seen the moon for the last few nights. I think I may go back to walking after sunset, damn the mosquitoes. It's so hot here lately, and I like walking in the evening and seeing the moon and the few stars that are visible with the light pollution.

      Delete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.