Friday, March 29, 2013

CRUCIFIXION OF CHRIST

GIOTTO di Bondone
Scenes from the Life of Christ: Crucifixion
Fresco 1304-06
Cappella Scrovegni (Arena Chapel), Padua

We glory in your cross, O Lord,

and praise and glorify your holy resurrection; for by virtue of your cross joy has come to the whole world.



May God be merciful to us and bless us, show us the light of his countenance, and come to us.

Let your ways be known upon earth, your saving health among all nations.



Let the peoples praise you, O God; let all the peoples praise you.

We glory in your cross, O Lord, and praise and glorify your holy resurrection; for by virtue of your cross joy has come to the whole world.

(Book of Common Prayer)

 Image from the Web Gallery of Art.

6 comments:

  1. Another gorgeous painting from Giotto. I love that blue, I love that blue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The painting is gorgeous with exquisite colors. And look at the beautiful waves in Mary Magdalene's hair and the folds in the clothing. Maybe the painting is too gorgeous for the scene of the crucifixion.

      Delete
  2. This really struck me, as we were praying our way through the service: for by virtue of your cross joy has come to the whole world.

    I had never before seen the cross as a source of joy before, but today I did. I had only ever seen suffering and sorrow and grief and the result of sin.

    But today I got another glimpse of the magnificent depth of love. And I am glad.

    God did the Big Give Away today.
    And I am so very grateful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. margaret, the very words you reference popped out at me during the liturgy yesterday, which is why I posted them with the painting.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. De nada, Counterlight.

      Kittredge Cherry has written wonderful meditations on your Gay Passion of Christ series of paintings at the Jesus in Love Blog.

      Delete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.