Monday, March 25, 2013

GAY PASSION OF CHRIST

3. Jesus Drives Out the Money Changers (from The Passion of Christ: A Gay Vision) by Douglas Blanchard

Jesus in Love Blog is running a Holy Week series of Doug Blanchard's paintings titled A Gay Passion of Christ, along with commentary by Kittredge Cherry.  Doug's paintings are stunning, and Kittredge's excellent commentary does the art full justice.
The protest looks like a scene from Occupy Wall Street, although it was painted a decade before that movement began. Blanchard’s Jesus could be angry about the growing gap between the wealthy one percent and the other 99 percent, or about fundraising tactics that demonize LGBT people, or about countless other forms of economic injustice.
I highly recommend reading today's commentary in its entirety and following the posts during the rest of the week.  The paintings and the words provide timely meditations as we approach the climax of the Lenten season.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for spreading the news about the Passion of Christ and your kind words about my commentary. I find that Doug’s paintings, and the Christ that they invoke, inspire me to do my best. But I keep finding ways to fine-tune my text, so comments are appreciated. I wish you a deeper connection with God and others this Holy Week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm proud to link to the splendid series, Kitt. As you may or may not know, I have used Doug's paintings here on my blog during past Lenten seasons. He is so very generous in permission to share.

      Delete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.