Monday, October 13, 2008

And Here's Another - Fr. Steve Niskanen

On the same day that Fr. Geoff Farrow spoke from the pulpit in Fresno, California, to say that he could not, in conscience, support Proposition 8, which would ban same-sex marriages, Fr. Steve Niskanen, another Roman Catholic priest, from San Gabriel Mission in the Los Angeles archdiocese, spoke out against the proposition.

From the California Catholic Daily:

Another priest has broken ranks with California’s bishops on the Protect Marriage initiative, telling his parishioners in the church’s weekly bulletin, “I cannot in conscience unequivocally support Proposition 8.”
....

“I deeply respect and submit to the authority of our bishops and the force of traditional Catholic teaching limiting sexual relations to the love and life-giving commitment of heterosexual marriage. But I cannot in conscience unequivocally support Proposition 8 because I cannot in my heart of hearts say with certainty, at this time, that God would not call His gay and lesbian children into a faithful and life-long covenant with one another.”


I offer my prayers and support to Fr. Steve.

UPDATE: The website at the above link allows comments. The majority are against Fr. Steve's action. You may want to leave a few words. Be nice.

4 comments:

  1. I left a comment - good on him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hopefully they will give others the courage to stand up to the bishop and be counted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boocat, we can hope. I see that more positive comments are coming in at the newspaper's site. Excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. From the San Gabriel Mission Weekly Bulletin, dated October 19, 2008...

    Dear Parishioners of San Gabriel Mission:

    The Peace of Christ be with you!

    Two weeks ago, I presented in a bulletin letter an overview of the three Propositions (4, 6 and 8) on which our California Bishops’ Conference has taken an official position. I presented these positions in summary, but then added my own personal opinion regarding Proposition 8, framing it as a matter of my conscience. I regret and apologize for placing my opinions on the same level as our Bishops, “the authentic teachers of the faith.” I fully respect and support our Bishops’ position that Proposition 8 does not intend to infringe on the human and legal rights of our gay and lesbian brothers and sisters; rather it seeks to preserve the restriction of the term “marriage” to the complementary, life-long partnership of the whole of life, open to the gift of children, between one man and one woman.

    Your brother in Christ,

    Fr. Steve Niskanen, CMF, Pastor.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.