Friday, January 25, 2008

A True Friend Of My Beloved City

Kirstin at Barefoot and Laughing has been in New Orleans for several weeks doing interviews for a book on survivors of Katrina and the federal flood. She will take leave on Sunday. Her farewell gift is a beautiful and moving post on my beloved city of New Orleans. She is among the best of the best of those who attempt to describe the nearly ineffable attraction of the city for those who are natives and for those who are New Orleanians by adoption. Not all natives of the city love it. Not all who visit or move to the city like it, but those who fall in love, fall hard.

I have not lived in New Orleans for over 40 years, but, as yet, I feel like a New Orleanian living in exile. There is much to like about the town that I live in, but the home of my heart is, and will always be, New Orleans. For me, to be a New Orleanian is part of my nature, part of who I am, whether I live there or not.

You can imagine my joy when a visitor sees what I see and feels what I feel about my beloved and writes something like this:

There is hope here. I heard it yesterday in the voice of a woman who had organized a neighborhood renewal, since spread throughout the city, based on cooperation and sharing resources. I saw her love for her home, and this city, shining in her eyes, as she talked about how she has been blessed in the gifts she’s been able to give.

I hear it over and over, in the stories people tell me of their lives in this city since the storm. They tell me why they love it here, why they came home, why they stayed. They stayed because it is their home. Because Houston or Mobile or wherever, just wasn’t. Because this is New Orleans. There is a vivacity here that is unique to this place. So much in the culture is about relationships, and about acceptance. You can be whoever you are—not only in the Mardi Gras, crazy way portrayed in the media (though there is that), but in your dailiness as well. The violence, and crime, are of course awful. But life is celebrated here, too.

I am in love with the spirit of resurrection I see and feel all around me. I’d give anything to be able to stay, longer than I can. I’m hoping and praying to come back. The spiritual rebirth is as apparent as the physical, and everything in me wants to be part of it.


Please go read her entire post. Kirstin has a wonderful gift for writing, and this piece is from her heart.

9 comments:

  1. It's good to read about Kirsten and what she is writing. Your affection for Kirsten and New Orleans always comes through. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am delighted to hear the voices of hope.Resurrection takes many forms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. (((((Mimi)))))

    (((((NOLA)))))

    So. much. love.

    DP, yes, it does. I have many more stories where these came from. The city's full of them.

    Thank you, Jan. (I always know Mimi loves me.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whenever I read your - or almost anyone's - post-Katrina blogs I come back to the thought - the certainty, rather - that had the storm come in further west and devastated Texas the way it devastated Louisiana and Mississippi, a WHOLE lot more money and effort would have gone into rescue and reconstruction (they'd have pulled Haliburton out of Iraq, betcha) than has gone into the reconstruction of the New Orleans area.

    It's all go in Columbia today (Democratic primary). Just got back from breakfast at the restaurant a block and a half from the house. Joe Scarborough, who replaced Imus as MSNBC's morning anchor, was broadcasting his show live from just behind my table. Obama's headquarters are three blocks from here, and all three lead candidates have parties here tonight. Then they'll forget about us for another 4 to 8 years! And many would say "no bad thing"!

    The consecration of Fr. Lawrence, new bishop of SC (we're "Upper SC", thank God - our bishop chaired the committee that presented the indictments against Schofield and Duncan) takes place in Charleston today. Fr. Lawrence was San Joaquin's cathedral dean, if that tells you anything. My point of this observation is that they scheduled the consecration for the day of the Democratic primary. Do you think it would have been scheduled for the 26th if the Republican primary was today? Well, do you?

    Joynt-Scott, jackass bishop of Winchester, is a co-consecrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lapin, thanks for your contribution as our on-the-scene correspondent. Scarborough didn't interview you? He doesn't know what he missed. Did you, at least, get on TV in a non-speaking part?

    Blessings on Bishop-to-be Lawrence. It's going to be dull around there once all the excitement is over. Is it customary to have an English bishop on the scene?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lapin, I believe that Scarborough et al. are still in your restaurant. I guess they'll be there for the day, since their equipment is set up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I gather from checking the program that Scarborough has left to get back to NY City, but the team is staying in situ at Lizzard's Thicket.

    ReplyDelete
  8. She is brilliant, our Kirstin.

    And so are you!

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.