Monday, February 25, 2008

Idle Hours

The other day I spent two hours or thereabouts in my doctor's office waiting to have my ear reamed out. The outer waiting room was quite full, so I expected that my visit would not be in and out, and I was right. I spent a good long time in the outer waiting room, before I was moved to the inner waiting room. Why two waiting rooms? Is it that if all the waiting folks were in one large room, the patients would be disheartened by the sight, so that the patients must be divided up? Then, onto another wait in the treatment cubicle. I almost had the doctor once. He was in the doorway with my chart in his hand, but the nurse called him away to another cubicle. He smiled and said, "Sorry," and put the chart back into it door pocket. They don't call us patients for nothing.

Finally, he came in and reamed out my ear and told me that I would need a cauterization - a minor procedure - to keep me from having to have my ear reamed out so often. Did I want to do it right then? I considered briefly, and said that I wanted to think about it for a bit. The procedure is scheduled for a month from now, after I have thought about it.

The good news is that I had the February 11-18 combined issue of the New Yorker along, with the annual Eustace Tilley cover, a little different from those in years past. One of the articles that I read is Eerily Composed; Nico Muhly, Generation Y Maestro by Rebecca Mead.

Nico Muhly is a young - 26 years old! - composer. From the profile, I get a picture of a charming young man, someone I'd like to meet and get to know.

Sixteenth- and seventeenth-century English composers of religious music, in particular William Byrd and John Taverner, are among Muhly’s chief influences, though he also draws musical inspiration from the spare repetitions of Philip Glass and Steve Reich and from the off-kilter rhythms of songs by Björk, whose recordings he has worked on.

The article is intriguing on different levels, but what captured my attention was the young boy's immediate connection with liturgical music:

When he was eight years old, Muhly began to learn the piano, on an old upright in the basement of the Rhode Island house, but it was not until a friend at school invited him to join a church choir that his musical affinities truly began to emerge. “My mother was horrified: she would come and hear us sing, but grudgingly,” Muhly says. (His mother is half Jewish, and his father comes from a Lutheran family; both are more likely to celebrate the solstice than any Judeo-Christian religious observance.) Muhly, however, loved the repertory of Byrd, Weelkes, and Orlando Gibbons. “I found myself immediately at home in it musically,” he says. “I was really entranced by early music, and how the lines worked. It felt so much more emotional than the Romantic stuff I was playing as a pianist—Chopin, or Schumann, or Tchaikovsky, which always felt sort of Hallmarky.”
....

Muhly says that, even as a boy, he was fascinated by the emotional function of church music as opposed to that of concert music. “Church music is more directional music, pointing upward,” he says. “And the satisfaction of a job well done is the only one you are going to get. When you finish the piece, you don’t look at the audience and smile; you don’t graciously bow. And the composer vanishes, too, in addition to the performers. If you are really good, you disappear.”
....

Since moving to New York, seven years ago, Muhly has regularly attended St. Thomas Church, on Fifth Avenue at Fifty-third Street. In 2005, he composed a “Bright Mass with Canons” for its choir. “The organ writing is very colorful and very brilliant, and what is so attractive to me is that he is using ancient techniques,” John Scott, the director of music at St. Thomas, says. “Canon, where voices imitate each other and sing the same music but not at the same time, came to its fruition among early-sixteenth-century Flemish composers. Nico Muhly is in a sense coming from there, but it is dressed up in a very contemporary musical language that has aspects of minimalism.”

Muhly’s youthful anti-clericalism has been tempered by time: though Scott told me that he and Muhly have never discussed questions of faith, he added, “I suspect that he is quite serious about it.” Muhly told me, “I am quite serious about church music. Musicians have always enjoyed a ‘question-free zone’ about faith, because religious music can help people explore their relationship with the divine, which I think is a much more powerful altruistic act than making a big scene of your own personal relationship. I started going to St. Thomas here, and it wasn’t even a question for a second that I wanted to live a life that includes liturgical music as a major part.”
(My bolding)

To me, that's a rather fine statement of faith.

You can listen to Muhly's music here.

Any doctors out there reading this, take note that I love my doctors, and my wait was due to surgery which took longer than expected, which I quite understand.

11 comments:

  1. Thanks, Mimi. I especially like his arrangements of Byrd. But also the Bright Mass was very interesting. It makes me wish we had a huge organ here to be able to make it sound like that. There are of course some people in the choir who would say things like "we'll never be able to do it." But I bet we could if we worked on it for a while!

    I sent the link on to my choir director.

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, while I'm in NYC, I plan to attend a service at St. Thomas next Sunday, if all goes according to plan. I'm looking forward to that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, do you suppose they have a CD of the Mass? Let me know! You are just the travelingist girl I know! (Lord, I am turning into my mother! She called her friends from High School 'the Girls,' til the day she died! ;-)

    Oh. Today is my 5 year birthday! I am goin' out with my Nawth Calihna girl friend for lunch to celebrate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan, I will check. I'd say I'll buy one for you, but then I'd have to get it to you. I'll ask if they do mail orders, if there is a CD.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No, I don't expect you to get one! And if I go to the website for St. T's I can prolly find out for myself. I am just going on and on today..

    I want a front porch swing and some ice tea and some folks for to talk to! It has to warm up soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Susan, it's like a summer's day here - well, like a spring day - 75 degrees F.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, I read that article too. Interesting. I love Tavener (and Taverner) so he draws from interesting sources.

    I just sigh given that Saint Thomas is a bastion on male-ness -- unless they have changed but God forbid that there be a woman priest there back even in the 1990s.

    Sorry about the ear -- is this known as getting your ear irrigated (which I have done on an annual basis)?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jan, Caminante good questions. I have perforated eardrums. Earwax and other debris cannot be removed by washing out my ears, or the water would get into the middle ear and cause great pain. It involves a combination of a probe and sometimes a little vacuum-like device to get the stuff out.

    Caminante, I did not know St. Thomas was a male-bastion place. I'm going for the music. I'll let you know if I spot a woman priest.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "It involves a combination of a probe and sometimes a little vacuum-like device to get the stuff out."

    Urk, this makes me squirm. I am always incredibly jumpy when having things stuck in my ears after having an idiot ram a metal probe into my ears when I had infections in both... even 40 years later, I levitate even before the implement is inside the ear.

    Safe travels to NYC.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Caminante, it's no fun, but I have no choice. I've an area in the ear canal that has granulation tissue rather than skin, and that's what the doc wants to cauterize to try to get it to heal.

    Thanks for the good wishes.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.