Sunday, February 24, 2008

Road Rage?

After church today, Grandpère and I headed to our favorite (not!) food chain, Chili's, to eat lunch. We had a gift card, so what could we do? As I was driving there, I moved into the left turning lane, and, just as I saw my way free to go forward, a car darted into my lane right in front of me. We could easily have collided. The driver, a young woman, pulled into a parking place at Chili's and got out. We went on to park and went into the restaurant. As we were sitting in the restaurant, I saw the woman sitting in a corner with two friends. I asked GP, "Do you think I should go over and say something to her?" He said, "No, don't do that."

I had ordered my usual glass of red wine (for medicinal purposes, only, of course) and - lo! - a special of the day was two glasses of wine for the price of one, so GP got a glass of wine, too. He drank a little, but he does not like red wine, so I poured the rest of his into my glass and drank it, too, after I'd finished mine. If one glass of red wine is heart-healthy, then two must be even healthier, right?

Time to go. They say that alcohol reduces inhibitions. I looked over at the girl, and told GP, "I'm going over there." He rolled his eyes, but he knew that he was not going to stop me. I went over to her table and said, "You cut right in front of me. You could have caused an accident. You should learn to drive less aggressively and more carefully. Thank you." I don't know what the thank you was about, but I threw it in. She sat with a smirk on her face as I was talking. I left after I said my piece, so she didn't have a chance to respond. I felt a lot better. I didn't snarl at her or raise my voice, or anything. I spoke as nicely as I could saying something like that.

I have a moderate case of road rage, which I've got to watch for, but I don't think I'd categorize that as road rage. What do you think?

What surprised me a bit was the immense satisfaction that I felt, after advising the young woman to mend her driving ways.

25 comments:

  1. Mimi:

    You did the right thing! If we don't tell careless people when they are being careless, when will they ever start caring?

    UC and I had a laugh over your wine story. When red wine is served, I invariably end up finishing his glass, with similar effect on my inhibitions.

    Looking forward to your visit...

    ReplyDelete
  2. QFC, so you're not afraid that I will attack you in NYC? That's right. I won't be driving. See ya.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right on, Grandmère.

    I feel much better knowing that you talked to her, and I'm not joking.

    I'm also thinking maybe I should have a glass of red wine. For medicinal purposes of course. You think it will cure the crankiness about Ralph Nader and our faculty search? (Unrelated, just two pieces of bad news on the same day.)

    GOOD FOR YOU, MIMI !!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I get road rage too. Good on ya for confronting the doofus-girl.

    On the other hand, don't do that if they look dangerous. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jane, PJ, I am damned cranky about Nader, but telling the girl off helped a little.

    Jane, I thought you were finished with your faculty search.

    Muthah, should I give up road rage for what's left of Lent? Or should I give up correcting people for bad driving? Or should I give up drinking wine? But it's for my heart!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it's perfectly acceptable to have killed her on the spot; that's why they don't allow me to go over to the other table.

    However, for "normal" people, I think your behavior was exemplary, and deserving praise.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Johnieb, over to the other table? It's a true wonder that they let you out and about at all without a guardian.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, it was over two weeks ago, and today (I just mentioned it a few hours ago on my blog) our choice turned us down. (We don't pay enough and this person had other offers.)

    So it's back to the drawing board.

    ReplyDelete
  9. good for you Grandmere!

    I think you did the right thing. The wine at Chili's usually sucks though. Did it today?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fran, it sucked. What was I thinking to drink two glasses! My humble Shiraz at my house is so much better.

    ReplyDelete
  11. good for you!

    You spoke your peace for all of us who have wanted to say something to the rude drivers that seem to rule the roads.

    as for drinking the house wine at Chili's, we need to talk!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I need more than a talk, Dennis. I need lessons.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ha! Your title gave me a flashback, but you did the right thing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. But Mimi!! Chili's has $3 margaritas!

    Forget the wine. Go with the 'ritas...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well, confessing to road rage got me consigned to Hell over at Time 2change churches as you know.

    Oh well.

    Yes assertive behaviour is important. She may think twice before behaving like that again.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Kirstin, oh no! Not a flashback!

    Doxy, I don't like magaritas, but next time it'll be Mexican beer.

    DP, have you seen the light yet? Are you saved?

    ReplyDelete
  17. You have road rage. Find a support group and get over it. People drive like asses because they ARE asses. It's nature. It has nothing to do with me.

    I may write a haiku about that.

    I've had a Chili's gift card for over a year now. There is a Chili's just across the street from me. It's just so... Chili's.

    Maybe I'll write a haiku about that too.

    See how you inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
  18. For all of those of you who are burdened with Chili's gift cards---I will be happy to do my Christian duty and lighten your load.

    E-mail me and I'll give you my address...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lindy, please write a haiku on Chili's gift cards.

    Doxy, the joke was on us, because the gift card was expired, and we had to pay for the meal and the bad wine, after all. I forgot to put that in the story. In the future, I will keep you in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh no, Gift Card Rage!!!! Quick, Mimi, have another glass of Shiraz!

    Your description of the cutoff made by the idiot in the other car reminds me of the scene in Fried Green Tomatoes. Too bad you didn't still have the old car. You could have really raged! I loved that movie.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Susan, I loved that movie, too, as I did the book. I am old enough to remember Fannie Flagg's appearances on the "Tonight Show" back when Jack Paar was the host, and it was literate and funny.

    Many years ago, when I was in NYC, I had tickets to the show. The night I was there, one of the guests was George S. Kaufman, the playwright. In the banter between Paar and Kaufman, the conversation got around to ostriches and how many folks who liked birds did not like ostriches. Paar asked Kaufman, "Do you like ostriches?" Kaufman paused for a while and then replied, "It's hard to say. I know so few ostriches."

    i will have my Shiraz with my lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh Mimi, I love it! "So few ostriches." LMAO

    ReplyDelete
  23. The Chili’s gift card,
    Waiting on my desktop still.
    Winter’s card unused.

    And this one which is a little more from my heart...

    Why the Hell don’t you
    Give me a decent present
    Not a damn gift card.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lindy, both are works of genius. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.